Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Abuse prevention focus of month

Michigan recently joined a national movement for child abuse awareness and officials declared April as Child Abuse Prevention Month.

On March 31, Gov. Jennifer Granholm and child abuse prevention organizations throughout the state proclaimed this month as the time to increase awareness about the issue.

On April 5, the Lansing City Council also joined in the effort to bring awareness to child abuse, formally recognizing the month during the council session.

Council President Carol Wood said she hopes to get the residents of Lansing involved in the effort.

"Be aware of some of the telltale signs of abuse," she said. "When you see children that are outside without raincoats, or appear to not have enough food, or appear to have bruising, that is a form of abuse."

Wood said she hopes watching for child abuse will become a normal thing in neighborhoods.

"When we look at neighborhood watches and look at what that has done to lower crime rates, it's obvious that being aware of what is happening in the house next door to you, and making those people aware that you are aware, can make a big difference," she said.

The Cristo Rey Community Center is one of the organizations in Lansing participating in the effort to eliminate child abuse.

Pat McKinley, program manager at Cristo Rey, said the center holds parenting programs to teach people alternative ways of dealing with conflict.

"We work on learning all kinds of strategies that are nonviolent," she said. "We have classes on setting rules, anger management, ways to communicate better and many other topics. We encourage parents to bring their kids along."

McKinley said she did research on child abuse a few years ago and was surprised by her findings.

"I always thought abuse was happening with under age 5 kids, but I found so many cases that were with older kids," she said.

Maureen Sorbet, spokeswoman for the Family Independence Agency, said it was a victory when Michigan decided to recognize Child Abuse Prevention Month. She said it is a problem that needs to be recognized by everyone.

"Child abuse prevention is a bigger issue. It is an issue for the whole community," she said. "Everyone has a role and a responsibility in preventing child abuse."

A blue ribbon has been chosen as the symbol for child abuse awareness. Different organizations across the state will be participating in the effort.

The Michigan State Police will join the effort to bring the message of child abuse prevention to people across the state by tying blue ribbons to their patrol cars.

Sorbet said the employees at Child Protective Services are wearing blue ribbons on their clothing throughout the month.

She said many organizations tied blue ribbons around parking meters in downtown Lansing and are placing ribbons on cars to remind people of the importance of preventing child abuse.

Share and discuss “Abuse prevention focus of month” on social media.