Monday, October 21, 2024

Cafeterias offer low-carb options

Mason resident Shantelle Griffin adds lettuce to a wrap at the Red Cedar Deli in the Shaw Hall cafeteria. The wraps are one cafeteria meal option for students looking to cut carbohydrates from their diets.

MSU cafeterias might not label its food "Atkins-friendly" in the midst of a nationwide low-carbohydrate dieting craze, but officials say they offer plenty of options.

"Given what we offer, people can pick and choose," said Bruce Haskell, food service coordinator for the Division of Housing and Food Services. "The choices are there if you really want to follow it."

He said students can opt for their burgers without buns or chicken that hasn't been fried or breaded. No specific dishes are designated for any specific diets.

"Two students on the Atkins diet complimented us on the selection," he said. "If you work with the food service manager, they can usually accommodate you.

"Our stance is that all foods are acceptable in proper portions."

Food services also is working in conjunction with Olin Health Center and Healthy U to create a pamphlet detailing cafeteria options for students on a variety of diets.

But civil engineering freshman Evis Kinolli said not all the cafeterias on campus offer enough low-carb alternatives.

"Brody doesn't offer that much variety," she said. "But it depends on where you live."

But Yana Gutmakher, a communication and theater freshman who lives in Abbot Hall, said she thinks there are plenty of options available for vegetarians and other people with special diets, but added that she values balance in her meals.

"I don't think Atkins is particularly healthy," she said. "You should eat a balanced diet of carbs and protein."

Olin Health Center nutritionist Ronda Bokram said she suggests taking more into account when choosing a proper diet than counting carbohydrates.

"Carbohydrates are the most important fuel for your body," she said. "Your body needs 130 grams of carbs per day, minimum. It's your body's fuel for muscles, working out, for walking, for energy.

"If you're eliminating it, you're eliminating something that is essential to good health - even if you're restricting it."

Bokram also said she hopes dieters keep in mind that low-carb diets aren't reliable for long-term weight loss.

"You don't see weight loss that people maintain for 12 to 18 months," she said. "The health risks aren't all known. It's a fad."

Share and discuss “Cafeterias offer low-carb options” on social media.