Friday, October 11, 2024

New releases

BLUES
"Keep It Simple," Keb' Mo', Sony.

Guitarist Keb' Mo' released his first album in 1994, featuring all original work, and two Robert Johnson covers. Since then, Keb' Mo' has been one of few contemporary blues guitarists who hold onto the traditional sounds of the 1930s and who keep on keepin' on with the slide guitar and storytelling.

COUNTRY
"Platinum Collection," Diamond Rio, Madacy.

We usually try to avoid mentioning the release of compilations and box sets unless there's a good reason. Saturday's Diamond Rio show at the Wharton Center seems good enough. This collection is necessary for true fans of the band, which is a popular hybrid of modern country, bluegrass and rock 'n' roll.

JAZZ
"Momente Intimante," Richard Carr, Rec'd Music.

Swing-oriented violinist Richard Carr is one of those musicians who's constantly working to improve upon his already successful sound. And he does this mostly through performing and recording with other artists. After releasing his first solo album in 1989, Carr has played the violin on many compilations with numerous other swing and big band-style jazz artists.

FOLK
"Rock Star," Julian Coryell, United Musicians.

Julian Coryell is a multi-instrumentalist who plays all the instruments on his latest release, "Rock Star." Coryell has toured with many indie singers and songwriters, including Aimee Mann. Coryell's style has been influenced by artists such as Brian Wilson and Paul McCartney.

ROCK
"America's Sweetheart," Courtney Love, Virgin.

Here it is, the moment we've all been waiting for - Courtney Love's solo album. With songs titled "All the Drugs," and "Hold on to Me," it's certain this album will be an experience of some sort, love it or hate it. What more would be expected from the woman who once punched Axl Rose in the face?

LATIN
"Su Mejor Epoca," Los Fugitivos, Lideres.

Los Fugitivos has had its fair share of hits, including the 1991 cover hit, "Esperando Por Ti" (Yes, it was the español version of Richard Marx's "Right Here Waiting). Since then, the Mexican pop quintet has released 13 albums.

RAP
"Playtight," Foreign Legion, Bomb Hip Hop.

Originally formed as a duo in the late 1980s, rap threesome Foreign Legion didn't release its first full-length album until 2000. The group has had more than a decade to establish a huge fan base in the San Francisco area and is known for humorous criticism of itself as well as the status of the entire U.S. rap and hip-hop scene.

Share and discuss “New releases” on social media.