Monday, October 21, 2024

Fraternities recruit spring members

No preference freshman Nick Pantano, middle, gets a glimpse of the possibilities of joining Phi Kappa Psi fraternity with members Drew Sawmiller, an advertising junior, right, and hospitality business senior Dan Delaney on Monday night during recruitment week. Fraternities open their doors during the week to offer recruits an opportunity to meet members of their house.

Inclement weather is hindering the first days of fraternity recruitment for spring semester while new policies go into effect.

"It wasn't that good (Monday) night, and it's not looking good for (Tuesday) either," said Mahfouz Ackall, Interfraternity Council vice president for recruitment.

This is the first year that fraternities will keep statistics for recruitment. Panhellenic Council Vice President Christie Hendrickson said sororities have been keeping track for about 10 years. Women's recruitment kicks off next week with an informational session in the Union.

Also like sororities, fraternities have begun to station recruitment teams at each house to oversee recruitment. Fraternity representatives from other houses serve on teams.

Lambda Chi Alpha Fraternity member Brent Hodgson served on the team at the Phi Kappa Psi Fraternity on Monday night.

"We're just making sure there's no alcohol, that it's a brotherhood thing," the supply chain management senior said.

English junior Phil Johnson was one of the men who made it out to Phi Kappa Psi for recruitment.

"I'm just checking it out. I have some friends here; I've heard some good things," he said. Johnson also planned on visiting Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity.

Matt Blinstrub, president of Sigma Chi Fraternity, said his fraternity's numbers were above average.

"There were about 10 guys," the packaging senior said, which is up from the six the house usually gets in spring.

"Instead of each house fighting among themselves; we're working together. Our whole 'Go Greek' push is really big," Blinstrub said of Interfraternity Council's publicity drive.

Alpha Sigma Phi Fraternity, however, saw fewer men than average come to the house Monday.

"The houses that are far away are struggling to get guys," English junior David O'Ryan said. O'Ryan is the internal social chair for Alpha Sigma Phi, which had about nine men come for recruitment.

Share and discuss “Fraternities recruit spring members” on social media.