Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Robbery suspects arrested

East Lansing police arrested two men Wednesday suspected of stealing from unlocked homes on campus and in the city.

The two men were arrested at Bryan Hall after MSU police responded to calls that the suspects were attempting to enter dorm rooms at 3:15 p.m.

East Lansing police matched their descriptions to suspects who had entered an apartment on Waters Edge Drive two hours earlier before encountering a female resident of the apartment, said East Lansing police Capt. Juli Liebler.

Liebler said the suspect asked the resident if he knew a friend and then left the area with a second suspect. The resident called police 10 minutes later, but the suspects were not found.

When the suspects were found at Bryan Hall, they also had items allegedly stolen from a Michigan Avenue property that reported the stolen items at 2:30 p.m. that day, Liebler said.

Police are seeking warrants for both suspects charged with home invasion, a felony punishable by up to five years in prison and/or a $2,000 fine. The suspects are expected to be arraigned today.

Liebler said police are investigating other thefts in the Cedar Village area to see if there is a connection to the suspects.

"The problem is people are not locking their doors," Liebler said. "It's a crime of opportunity; they don't bother with doors that were locked."

MSU police warned students and faculty in September to keep an eye on their belongings after reporting a 31-percent increase in the number of thefts from campus buildings.

About 220 reports of thefts from campus buildings have been reported during the first eight months of the year - a jump from the 170 in the same period last year.

Share and discuss “Robbery suspects arrested” on social media.