Tuesday, October 1, 2024

State apple crop booming

Matt Hutton, employee of Uncle John's Cider Mill, sorts apples before they pass along the conveyor belt and are washed and chopped into apple cider. Uncle John's Cider Mill, located in St. Johns, makes an average of 3,000 gallons of apple cider each day.

After being left with a sour taste from last year's apple season, apple lovers throughout the state are excited about the size, quality and quantity of this year's crop.

According to the Michigan Apple Committee, Michigan has about 1,100 orchards, with about 200 acres each. Combined, the 8.5 million apple trees cover almost 50,000 acres in the state.

Dr. Mira Danilovich, MSU extension horticulture agent, said that between 1997 and 2000, acreage steadily declined because of fire outbreaks.

But this year, most experts expect an increase in state apple production.

"Nationally, all regions, except West, are expecting a 6 percent increase of crop from last year," Danilovich said.

Washington is the top apple-producing state, she said, with Michigan and New York fighting for second.

"New York is ahead this season," Danilovich said.

This year, about 23 million bushels of apples, about 970 million pounds, are expected to be produced in the state.

About 13.1 million bushels, 550 million pounds of apples, were produced in Michigan last year. It was the lowest yield in more than a quarter century.

This season, which lasts from Labor Day to Christmas, is speculated to have a "king bloom." King bloom crops usually have larger and more colorful apples, said Denise Yockey, executive director of the Michigan Apple Committee.

Danilovich said that the apple crop this year has benefited from sunny days, cold nights and a large amount of rain.

"All of these elements put together give you a perfect crop," Danilovich said.

Out of 300 varieties worldwide, Michigan commercially produces 21 types - more than any other state, Yockey said.

Local apple orchards, including Uncle John's Apple Cider Mill, 8614 N. US 27 in St. Johns, have benefited from the crop season.

"Our quantity is slightly above average," said Mike Beck, president of Uncle John's. "But the quality is way above average."

The increased quality has drawn about 15,000 visitors to the mill each day on the weekends, Beck said.

Alessa Thomas contributed to this report.

Share and discuss “State apple crop booming” on social media.