Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Picket backs city living wage

Lansing residents Dorothy Jones and Howard Jones, a Lansing City Council candidate, protest in front of the Lansing Regional Chamber of Commerce, 300 E. Michigan Ave., Monday. The chamber of commerce opposes Mayor Benavides' order for a living wage in Lansing.

Lansing - Car horns blared and chants were issued out of a bullhorn on Michigan Avenue on Monday as Lansing residents picketed outside of the Lansing Regional Chamber of Commerce.

Protesters held signs such as "Chamber Business Pimps" and "The Chamber Supports Poverty Wages," all while informing passers-by of their cause and encouraging drivers to honk in support.

The protest stems from an injunction the chamber of commerce, located at 300 E. Michigan Ave., filed against Mayor Tony Benavides in late September after he made an executive order to implement a living wage in Lansing.

"It's important to make sure workers get a fair wage for a fair day's labor," protester Darnell Oldham said. "Workers are more times than not overlooked."

Another demonstrator, Lansing resident Christine Timmon, said there was no reason for the chamber to file the injunction.

"What I'm concerned about is the fact that the mayor of a city should be able to issue an executive order with out all of this," Timmon said of the injunction filed by the chamber. "These workers pay taxes so that Lansing can give millions of dollars to businesses, but when they talk about giving a lousy three dollars an hour more to workers, it's an economic disaster."

Although definitions for the living wage vary, Benavides' order defines it as 125 percent of the federal poverty line. The pay increase applies to full- and part-time employees of City of Lansing service contractors - mainly janitorial services, security services and temporary help.

Lansing Regional Chamber of Commerce President Bill Sepic said the chamber's motives for filing the injunction against the mayor's action lie in the process in which the order was passed.

"We believe that the mayor acted out of jurisdiction of the powers given to him by the city charter," Sepic said. "The issue deserves debate and we want it to go through the proper channels."

Sepic added that he felt there are more effective ways to benefit people's lives than by instituting a mandatory pay increase. He suggested further education for workers, better transportation and vouchers for child care.

"Nobody can object to a living wage," Sepic said. "The difference in opinion is how we can get people to be paid more and have a better life. I don't believe this is the best way to do it."

Although comment from the mayor's office was unavailable Monday, a recent press release indicated that Benavides will fight "passionately to defend the living wage executive order in court for all of Lansing's working families."

Share and discuss “Picket backs city living wage” on social media.