Sunday, October 20, 2024

News briefs

Professor awarded for research in Germany

An MSU faculty member was recently recognized for his research and contributions in veterinary medicine.

Richard Witter, an adjunct professor with the Department of Pathobiology and Diagnostic Investigations, traveled to Hannover, Germany, last month to receive the Doctor Honoris Causa, an honorary doctoral degree, which was given by Hannover's School of Veterinary Medicine. The rare accolade is better known in Europe than in the United States and was last given out five years ago.

"It was a rare and unusual experience," Witter said. "I'm deeply honored that the recognition was from another school."

MSU is a partner university with Hannover's veterinary school and also was recognized during the ceremony.

He received his bachelor's and doctorate in veterinary medicine from MSU.

Witter recently retired from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Avian Disease and Oncology Laboratory based in East Lansing where he served as the director for more than 22 years.

He spent most of his career administering research programs by using chickens and turkeys. He was involved with making vaccines for chickens as well as working on tumor viruses.

"He's been an outstanding researcher," said Janver Krehbiel, associate dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine, who has known Witter for about 35 years. "He has an international reputation for pioneering research and poultry vaccines."

Sarah McEvilly

Retired professor dies from cancer at age 80

A distinguished member of the MSU community who retired as a professor of Emeritus Industrial Relations in 2000 died from cancer last week at the age of 80.

Daniel Kruger began his career at MSU in 1957 and was sought nationally as an expert of labor and industrial relations.

He was appointed by Ronald Reagan to the Federal Service Impasses Panel in 1982. The panel resolved federal disputes between federal agencies and unions.

Kruger also wrote numerous articles for professional journals on topics including arbitration, collective bargaining, dispute resolution and labor management.

In 1997, MSU awarded Kruger with the University's Distinguished Faculty Award. The Michigan Association of Governing Boards of public universities awarded Kruger the Distinguished Faculty Award in 1994.

Some within the MSU community say Kruger would be remembered for more than his awards.

"He was the kind of person who would give you his last dollar," said Theodore Curry, director of MSU's School of Labor & Industrial Relations. "What he believed more than anything was the greatest charity was to help a person find a job or build a career."

Kruger's daughter, Martha Kruger, said she'll miss her father's zest for life.

"My dad loved to talk about the big picture and big issues," Martha Kruger said. "It didn't matter who you were, if you were the CEO of General Motors or one of his grandchildren. I'll really miss that."

Kruger leaves behind his wife, Carol Beals of Grand Ledge, seven children and 18 grandchildren.

Antonio Planas

Share and discuss “News briefs” on social media.