Sunday, October 20, 2024

News Briefs

'U' student dies after electrocution accident

Civil engineering junior Brad Hilberg died Tuesday after being electrocuted.

Hilberg, an Alpena native, was painting a home in Oneida Township with another student when the aluminum ladder he was lowering hit a power line, Eaton County Sheriff's Department said in a written statement.

The 4,800-volt power line was 22 feet tall, according to Consumers Energy.

Hilberg was taken to St. Lawrence Hospital where he was pronounced dead. The other student was not injured.

Eaton County Sheriff's Department is investigating the incident.

Hilberg was an employee of College Works Painting, which has thousands of students employed around the country, said Matt Stewart, general partner for the California-based company.

"It's a very unfortunate tragedy," Stewart said. "We're very concerned for the family. Our thoughts are with the family.

"We're doing everything we can to help them."

Hilberg's younger brother, Derrick, said Brad had many friends at MSU and was planning on living in an off-campus apartment with one of his friends in the fall. He said his brother enjoyed playing hockey on intramural teams.

Stephanie Korneffel

Manure system to be presented at Ag Expo

Visitors to the Ag Expo won't have to hold their breath at a manure field demonstration.

MSU faculty members have developed a system that reduces the odor by permeating ozone through the manure 100 gallons at a time.

While the technology works, creators of the system are still working on reducing the cost.

The final result offers the right amount of nutrients for various crops.

The new manure system presentation is one of many scheduled for the Ag Expo manure management field demonstration.

The event is scheduled from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. July 22-23 and from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. July 24. Free parking is available at Farm Lane and Mt. Hope Road.

For more Ag Expo information call (800) 366-7055 or log on to www.agexpo.msu.edu.

Stephanie Korneffel

Share and discuss “News Briefs” on social media.