Sunday, October 20, 2024

Student speaks to 'U'

Brandon Lupp tries to do things differently.

As a host for the last three out of four College of Agriculture and Natural Resources honors college banquets, he held a cooking show for guests and has taken them on a "trip" around the world.

"That banquet required six costume changes," Lupp said, explaining the inspiration for that show came from more than 45 study abroad programs that are offered through his college.

He even put on a giant chicken costume and rode a tricycle to make himself seem more approachable.

But next week the agriculture and natural resources communications senior will trade the chicken suit for a cap and gown as he addresses students, faculty and staff at MSU's May 2 convocation.

And again he will be doing things differently by adding twists to his speech.

"I was going to pass out rubber bands to 10,000 people but they didn't think that would work," he said about his original speech plan. "They were afraid the rubber bands would go flying and they really didn't want to clean up the mess."

Lupp said he had to do some convincing before administration officials gave him the go-ahead on his speech, which encourages graduates to "rediscover what they had when they were children."

He wanted to incorporate an audio portion with elementary students voices saying what they want to be when they grow up.

"Kids aren't afraid of saying what they want to be," he said. "People are always telling kids you can be what you want to be and somewhere along the line we lose that."

Lupp's father, Gregory Lupp, said his son has an ability he didn't necessarily pass on to him.

"He just connects with people," Gregory Lupp said. "It's just a gift, I guess.

"He is a great writer, and when you combine that with his speaking skills, that is what stands out."

Gregory Lupp said his son began to flourish when he joined The National FFA Organization, formerly known as Future Farmers of America.

The organization has 120 chapters in Michigan and more than 450,000 members nationwide.

Brandon Lupp participated in organization throughout high school in Sebewaing, Mich., and was the state representative during his freshman year of college.

"Right off the bat, FFA gave me that confidence," he said. "That's something young people kind of lack."

Share and discuss “Student speaks to 'U'” on social media.