Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Gala celebrates African food, culture

Psychology senior Mary Mugala left, general business administrations and pre-law freshman Kelechi Nnodim, center, and psychology senior Naffie Cessday, take part in a fashion show Saturday evening at Eastern High School, 220 N. Pennsylvania Ave. in Lansing. The fashion show was part of the African Culture Gala concluding African Culture Week sponsored by African Student Union.

Tereza Guimaraes didn't know the food was going to be so spicy.

The native Brazilian said because of the African influence in her country, she is familiar with African styles of cooking.

But when she sampled the food at the annual African Culture Gala Saturday night, she was surprised.

"The ingredients are similar," she said after finishing a plate of Ethiopian chicken and other dishes. "But the food is very hot."

The gala, put on by the African Students Union, brought out about 200 students and Lansing-area residents to Eastern High School, 220 N. Pennsylvania Ave. in Lansing.

Attendees dined over a variety of African dishes from different countries, including Mali, Kenya and Ethiopia. After dinner, they congregated in the school's auditorium for a night of culture.

"For those of you who want to travel to Africa and can't go there, this is your opportunity," said Grace Mwendah, one of the hostesses.

"And for those of you who are homesick, we're bringing it back to you."

After a drum performance by students of Sankofa Shule School, 4817 Bristol St. in Lansing, attendees were treated to a slide show depicting African ways of life.

Cheers echoed through the room when pictures of Nelson Mandela and Desmond Tutu flashed.

"We've come a long way. We fought our fights, and we're still surviving," Mwendah said.

A rainbow of colors dominated the stage as women and men modeled loose, flowing traditional dress during two fashion shows. The women swished their hips and the men popped their collars walking across the stage.

Myra Olaopa, a 2002 MSU graduate and former president of the union, presented the union's first book scholarship. The scholarship will be presented annually to one outstanding member of the union.

Olaopa, who now works for a New York accounting firm, said she will continue to support the union's efforts despite her distance from them.

Members of the union presented two dance performances. Barefoot on stage, their feet pounded the ground and their arms seemed in endless motion as fast drumbeats blared in the background.

"This is what makes MSU magnificent," Olaopa said.

Share and discuss “Gala celebrates African food, culture” on social media.