Wednesday, October 2, 2024

E.L.P.D. investigating 2 shootings

East Lansing police are investigating two shootings that occurred Friday in the city.

A 21-year-old male nonstudent was shot in the chest by a rifle shortly before 2 a.m. Friday in Woodbrook Village Apartments, 1705 Coolidge Road, police said.

The man couldn't leave his room through the front door because the shooter, a man described by police to be in the same age range, was in the building.

To avoid being shot again, the man jumped out of a window from his third-floor apartment, East Lansing police Capt. Juli Liebler said.

Police say the victim is dating a woman the attacker used to date.

The man was sent to Sparrow Hospital and is expected to recover.

Police questioned a man believed to be involved in the shooting, but released him Friday. They have a name of another man and the alias of a third.

Liebler said officers don't prioritize shootings.

"We don't want to have a shooting in East Lansing, but I think residents in the area are relieved when the shooting is between acquaintances rather than a random act," she said.

In an unrelated shooting, in an attempted robbery, one shot was fired, but no one was hit. The incident occurred at about 1:30 p.m. on the 1700 block of Haslett Road.

Police have made no arrests.

Police say the city averages less than one shooting a year.

In addition to the shootings, East Lansing police also had to deal with a large anti-war protest during the day where 14 people were arrested.

"It's unusual for us to have incidents involving guns in the same day," East Lansing police Deputy Chief Tom Wibert said.

"To add a large social protest on that makes for an unusual busy day. It wasn't the typical day in East Lansing."

Share and discuss “E.L.P.D. investigating 2 shootings” on social media.