Saturday, October 19, 2024

Proposed bill questions investments

The Coalition for Social Responsibility will present a bill to ASMSU's Academic Assembly on Tuesday and to the Student Assembly on Thursday.

If both assemblies of MSU's undergraduate student government vote to support the bill, the university might have to rethink its current investment policy.

It is university investments in companies like Playboy Enterprises Inc. and Exxon Mobil Corp. that have attracted the coalition's attention. According to MSU's financial report for 2000-2001, the university had about $450,000 invested in Playboy.

MSU's current policy calls for socially appropriate and profitable investments, but has no oversight mechanism.

Under the coalition's amendment to the policy, concerned members of the community can bring up questionable investments to the Board of Trustees.

If they attain at least 1,000 signatures in agreement, the board will form a committee to investigate the company in question.

If the company's practices are deemed immoral, the university will divest from it.

"They're really strong bills," Student Assembly Chairperson Matt Weingarden said. "I think there's going to be a lot of good discussion."

Weingarden said he has concerns about tuition money being used to support controversial companies.

"I think the university is going to have a lot of explaining to do, on how the investment policy works right now," he said. "I don't really know how I feel about a lot of the things we're investing in."

Scott Henkel, president of the Graduate Employees Union, said he disagrees with some of the university's investments.

"It's pretty outrageous that in the name of making money, the university will invest in Playboy," he said.

The union's steering committee and stewards' council voted unanimously on Nov. 18 to support the coalition.

"We think it's really important to have student support for this," chemistry senior Tessa Fojut said. "GEU has shown their support, and that's good. Hopefully ASMSU will too."

Other groups involved in the coalition include Students for Economic Justice, Students for Palestinian Human Rights, Eco, Women's Council, Students for Peace and Justice, Students for a Free Tibet and the Alliance of Lesbian-Bi-Gay-Transgendered and Straight Ally Students.

The university has divested from companies in the past.

In 1978, the university divested from companies doing business in South Africa, after a seven-year campaign by a group of university and community members against Apartheid.

The Coalition for Social Responsibility meets in the second floor lobby of the Union at 9 p.m. on Tuesdays.

Share and discuss “Proposed bill questions investments” on social media.