Wanna roll? Belly-dancing surges in area

Melissa Boucher of Lansing belly dances earlier this summer for patrons at New Alladdin's Restaurant, 300 N. Clippert St. in Lansing.

What’s the sexiest part of the human body? Well, according to the latest trend in the entertainment industry, it’s the tummy.

As pop starlets such as Britney Spears continue to flaunt their sexy midriffs, many are looking for a way to accentuate it.

A popular solution appears to be belly-dancing, the ancient Middle Eastern form of dance.

“Belly-dancing works every part of your body and that’s why it’s becoming so popular,” said Garnett Kepler, artistic director of the Lansing dance troupe Habibi Dancers.

The form of dance has become popular in music videos. Singer Shakira, R & B vocalist Truth Hurts and the late Aaliyah have all incorporated belly-dancing into their videos.

Kepler, who’s been teaching the art for 13 years, said Shakira has the moves down, but other artists are “wannabes.” But she said the surge of popularity in the music industry has increased awareness.

“I teach classes every semester,” Kepler said.

“I have about 96 students each session.”

The classes are held at the Foster Community Center, 200 N. Foster St. in Lansing.

Kepler said the 96 students are broken up among four beginning classes, one interim class and one master class. But last year, she only had the demand for two beginning-level classes.

Belly-dancing has roots in India, Egypt and Turkey. But the moves are unique depending on the specific region.

Patrons at New Aladdin’s Restaurant, 300 N. Clippert St. in Lansing, are treated to a performance by belly dancer Melissa Boucher every Friday.

“I love belly-dancing because it’s a sensual movement,” Boucher said. “It’s also celebration between movement and music.

“I love to see it in the videos because it has a valuable history. Historically, women danced to prepare their body for birth and entertain each other.”

Restaurant patron Charles Fraser, a volunteer coach for MSU’s Olympic Lifting Club, said he enjoyed the live entertainment.

“Any movement that works the whole body can be used as a form of exercise,” he said.

Kepler said belly-dancing does provide a full-body aerobic exercise, as well as strengthen the muscles.

But she said it’s the ease with which anyone can pick up the art form that has helped it become so popular.

“Every woman can do it,” Kepler said. “It’s very gentle and enhances the body.”

Kepler said belly-dancing has become so popular she has been asked to teach a class at MSU this fall.

The eight-week Beginning Middle Eastern Belly Dance class will be held at Kellogg Center.

Those interested in the hip-swaying, tummy-rolling, mystic dance can purchase countless fitness videos or take classes, but Kepler said it’s all about feeling the music.

“When you’re belly-dancing you’re suppose to become a reflection of the music,” Kepler said.

“Your movement should go with the intensity of the sounds.”

Share and discuss “Wanna roll? Belly-dancing surges in area” on social media.