Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Options open to file taxes

Michele Halloran, an MSU-Detroit College of Law professor and director of the MSU-DCL Tax Clinic, and history graduate student Solomon Getahun discuss Getahun

With the tax deadline on Monday, Juanita Russell and Joshua Dickerson still haven’t sent their taxes.

Russell, a sociology sophomore, just hasn’t gotten around to it.

“I’m just a procrastinator,” the computer science senior said.

And Dickerson said he didn’t work over the last year.

“I always (got my taxes in early) when I had a job - around mid-January,” he said.

The two aren’t alone - millions across the United States wait until the last minute to file their taxes.

The Internal Revenue Service expects 132 million returns this year, but as of April 5, the agency only had received 79.7 million.

Michigan was on pace with 2.8 million returns filed out of 4.6 million expected.

IRS spokeswoman Sarah Wreford said even if you wait until Monday, there are ways to avoid being audited.

Wreford said a majority of the mistakes on returns involve putting down the wrong social security number and math errors.

But both types of errors can be avoided if filers take a second to relax, Wreford said.

“Put it aside then go back and double-check your math,” she said.

The IRS also is encouraging people to electronically file to speed up the return and prevent common math errors, Wreford said.

Workers who electronically file also can expect their refund in fewer than 10 days with direct deposit, Wreford said.

But electronic filing is not the only option.

Michele Halloran, director of the MSU-Detroit College of Law Tax Clinic, 541 E. Grand River Ave., said many computer programs, can help workers fill out the forms.

“They’re very easy to follow,” she said. “They’re very instructive, very informative.”

For someone who doesn’t have much time, there is one last salvation, the four-month extension.

Monday extension has to be filed by April 15, but afterward the worker has until Aug. 15 to file and submit payment.

Share and discuss “Options open to file taxes” on social media.