U recruit named Mr. Basketball

Michigan’s Mr. Basketball will be a Spartan for the fourth straight year.

Paul Davis, a member of the MSU’s 2002 recruiting class, follows in the footsteps of Jason Richardson, Marcus Taylor and Kelvin Torbert.

The Basketball Coaches Association, in conjunction with the Detroit Free Press, named Davis the 22nd annual Hal Schram Mr. Basketball recipient Monday.

Davis, a 6-foot-10 center from Rochester High, received 760 points, while Anthony Roberson of Saginaw High got 382 points and Lester Abram of Pontiac Northern High received 269.

Davis won the award despite breaking his right ankle 16 games into his senior season. He averaged 29.7 points, 13.8 rebounds, 4.1 blocks and 3.2 assists.

“I figured I’d at least be in the top three so to win was great. Today was the funnest day,” Davis said.

But Dave Telep, director of basketball recruiting for TheInsidersHoops.com, said to win over Roberson and Abram after not playing the latter half of the season is amazing.

“That’s incredible,” Telep said. “I would imagine it’s difficult to pass over guys on that list. That’s a real accomplishment because a lot of guys on the list are deserving of winning Mr. Basketball.”

Telep said Davis’ performance against Flint Northern and fellow MSU recruit Matt Trannon in the December Motor City Roundball Classic in Detroit could have made the difference. Davis almost recorded a quadruple-double, scoring 40-plus points, 20 rebounds, 10 blocks and six assists.

“It was my first time playing in Detroit,” Davis said. “I wanted to show everyone down there I could play, it was one of those days everything was just clicking.”

MSU assistant coach Mark Montgomery said the award is huge for the program.

“To keep getting Mr. Basketball, it says a lot about the program and the direction it’s going,” he said. “It helps us in recruiting because guys in and around the state want to play with the best players.

“It’s a great accomplishment for Paul and all the hard work he put in over the summer.”

Share and discuss “U recruit named Mr. Basketball” on social media.