President to have final approval in extraordinary circumstances

A resolution regarding surveillance of student groups by MSU police is expected to come to a vote at today’s Board of Trustees meeting.

The resolution was created based on a report from an independent panel investigating the placement of an undercover officer into United Students Against Sweatshops, now called Students for Economic Justice, beginning Feb. 19, 2000.

In a work session Thursday, board members and MSU President M. Peter McPherson agreed to include the phrase “No such surveillance can be undertaken without approval of the president,” in the proposal.

The proposed resolution also states that such an undercover investigation can only be initiated under “extraordinary circumstances.”

McPherson said he is prepared to take on such a responsibility if the resolution is passed.

“There seems to be a broad support from our discussions today and I anticipate a vote,” he said.

Board Chairperson Colleen McNamara said she expects the resolution to pass.

“People wanted to be sure that ‘extraordinary circumstance’ is serious enough,” she said. “With the president being the final approval, that makes him or her accountable.”

McNamara said the resolution will send a message to those on campus that the board takes the investigation issue seriously.

But Heather Buckley, a Students for Economic Justice member, said holding the president accountable doesn’t place adequate restrictions on police.

“I don’t feel the wording is definite enough to mean anything - it is really broad,” the Lansing Community College sophomore said. “That statement is to make the people feel better and get the issue off the cover of the paper.”

The board will also consider approving the University Non-Contributory Retirement Plan. The Trustee Finance Committee is recommending a 5 percent increase in benefit levels on Jan. 1.

The plan has provided benefits to more than 1,200 MSU retirees.

A decision on whether to accept a charitable donation of 408 acres of land in Jackson County from MacCready Realty, LLC, is also on the board’s agenda.

The property is valued at $1.45 million.

The board will also consider accepting bids placed by contractors for the Delia Koo International Academic Center addition, the Muck Soils Research Farm drainage system improvements and the removal of deteriorating machines from the Biochemistry Building.

Share and discuss “President to have final approval in extraordinary circumstances” on social media.