Program receives governors award

MSU employees got caught lending a helping hand and received the appropriate attention for the matter.

On May 21 in Grand Rapids, MSU Extension received the 2001 Governor’s Service Award in the corporation/business category of the annual Governor’s Service Awards program.

The Exemplary Volunteer Service Award was presented to Margaret Bethel, acting director of MSU Extension, and Cyndi Mark, leader of the 4-H youth development program.

“This award is very meaningful to MSU Extension. Many of our educational programs are volunteer-based, so we recognize the significant difference (the programs) make in communities throughout Michigan,” Bethel said.

MSU Extension, founded in 1915, provides information and offers ongoing educational programs in agriculture and natural resources, youth and family programs, and community and economic development.

The service employed volunteers from 56 countries and five on-campus Extension units, which totaled 350 MSU staff members. They have contributed thousands of hours of community service for a variety of projects, which ranged from cleaning up federal forest land to renovating historic buildings.

Volunteers also painted houses for senior citizens, organized fund-raisers and developed family fairs and health programs.

Presenting the awards were Michigan first lady Michelle Engler and Russell G. Mawby, chairperson of the Michigan Community Service Commission and a former MSU trustee.

“(Volunteerism) is a part of the American tradition and a way of life,” Mawby said. “Volunteers contribute greatly to society, and the act of community service is rewarding to the person who contributes their time, talent and resources to help someone else.”

MSU was one of five finalists that demonstrated outstanding corporate volunteer service to local communities.

The Michigan Community Service Commission was established to promote and support volunteer service throughout Michigan. Since 1994, 108 individuals and organizations have received a Governor’s Service Award.

Share and discuss “Program receives governors award” on social media.