Friday, October 18, 2024

Lansing locals seek ward position

Three Lansing residents filed by the Tuesday deadline to run for the Fourth Ward council seat, replacing Kris Nicholoff.

And they all had the last name of Smith.

The Fourth Ward has jurisdiction on the northwest side of Lansing and all of the downtown area.

Geneva Smith, who is also the president of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People’s Lansing chapter, said she was asked by a “prominent group of residents” to run for the seat. She declined to comment on the group’s identity.

“I’m very committed. I believe in Lansing, my community, and the Fourth Ward. Together we can work,” she said.

Smith said her top three priorities are to work on beautifying Lansing neighborhoods, bring in new businesses and focus on education.

Clyde Smith is also running for the position. He said he is running to implement new policies and ideas for the way the council handles issues.

He hopes to do this by televising administrative and other behind-the-scenes meetings to let residents know specifically why an issue has passed or not. These meetings influence the council agenda.

“They need to bypass the red tape by going in and televising,” he said.

Clyde Smith also hopes more residents will come and participate in the meetings and offer new ideas for the future.

“We need to take a look at the system. We can’t keep managing Lansing the way we have been. We need new ideas,” Smith said.

Nicholoff, who is director of governmental affairs, community relations and public policy for the Michigan Dental Association in Lansing, said his experience as Fourth Ward was “awesome” but he’s too busy with his full-time job, looking after family members and volunteer activities to give 100 percent to the council.

“It breaks my heart,” he said. “Most people leave because of animosity. It’s not that, it’s time.”

Nicholoff said he plans on running in the future when he has more time.

He said it’s too early to show his support for any of the candidates, but hopes the person who is elected will concentrate on building a good relationship between neighborhoods and the police.

“We need that relationship to be really strong,” Nicholoff said.

Garry Goodlsby turned in an application for the position but later withdrew and filed for the city clerk position, current Lansing City Clerk Steve Dougan said.

Lewis Smith is also running for the position for Fourth Ward. He could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

Share and discuss “Lansing locals seek ward position” on social media.