MSU Football Blog

Football schedule includes night game against Nebraska

By Ben Stram          Last updated: 04/15/14 5:03pm         

​The excitement in the MSU fan base for the upcoming football season is higher than it has been for 26 years.

This might explain why people are looking forward to next year’s schedule so quickly.

The Spartans already have one night game scheduled this season, as they’ll play Nebraska in a home game at 8:00 p.m. on Saturday, October 4. The game will be televised by either ABC, ESPN or ESPN2.

Over the next couple months, more game times for the Michigan State football schedule will be put together slowly.

MSU’s schedule already dealt with adjustments. The season opening home game against Jacksonville State was moved from Saturday, August 30 to Friday, August 29.

The schedule also brings two newcomers this year. MSU will be playing both at Maryland on November 15 and at home against Rutgers November 22.

MSU will also be vying for some primetime spots at night this season with home games against Michigan and Ohio State, a rematch of the Big Ten Championship game, which would garner a lot of attention nationally.

First game moved up from Saturday to Friday

By Matt Sheehan          Last updated: 04/01/14 7:42pm         

For the fourth season in a row, MSU football announced they will be opening their season on a Friday, moving the game to Aug. 29.

While the game time and TV station has yet to be announced, Spartan fans can expect a night game if MSU follows the pattern they have for the three previous seasons.

The Friday game will allow fans to have a free Saturday during Labor Day weekend, which is awfully courteous if you ask me.

The game against Jacksonville State falling on a Friday will give the Spartans one extra day to rest before they face Oregon in Eugene, Ore. the following weekend.

If August is too long of a wait for you, there is the spring game to look forward to on April 26 at 2 p.m.

Dantonio, Izzo named top coaching duo in nation

By Matt Sheehan          Last updated: 02/24/14 7:08pm         

Life isn’t too bad for MSU athletics.

Coming straight off a Rose Bowl win and moving into a (mostly) promising basketball season, Spartans all over the world have been bathing in success.

Well, Athlon Sports has seen the same trend and has named Tom Izzo and Mark Dantonio the No. 1 men’s basketball and football coaching duo in the nation.

Last season the two earned the No. 7 ranking in the nation, but with Dantonio becoming the second Big Ten head coach to win a Rose Bowl since 2000 Athlon Sports boosted them to the top.

The article also noted how Izzo could reach his second national title and seventh Final Four with a healthy roster, but we all know how hard that is to achieve this season.

Other conference schools joining the Spartans are Ohio State at No. 2, falling from the top spot in last year’s ranking.

Wisconsin is ranked No. 6 in the country with Michigan taking the No. 11 spot after being ranked No. 2 last year.

Football notes: McDowell considering visits to other schools; Charges for 2015 recruit Campbell to be announced

By Robert Bondy          Last updated: 02/10/14 7:26pm         

The MSU football program received two doses of negative recruiting news on Monday, involving both the 2014 and 2015 class.

Five-star defensive end prospect Malik McDowell is reported to still be considering other options, even though he verbally committed to MSU last Wednesday, according to the Detroit Free Press.

McDowell’s father, Greg McDowell, told Rivals.com that his son could take unofficial visits to both Ohio State and Florida State. The Detroit Free Press is also reporting that Michigan is still in the mix as well.

Malik McDowell went against his parent’s views, choosing MSU last week on National Signing Day. His parents both publicly made it known they would prefer Malik McDowell not attend MSU in the fall.

Since Malik McDowell did not sign his letter of intent, he is still eligible to play anywhere he chooses this upcoming fall.

Another MSU recruit, this time for the 2015 class, Jayru Campbell, is in hot water after body slamming a Detroit Cass Tech High School security guard on Jan. 22. Campbell could be charged with assault with intent to do great bodily harm less than murder and aggravated assault, according to the Free Press.

The charges will be announced on Tuesday at 2 p.m. at a press conference held by Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy.

Campbell, who is a four-star quarterback prospect verbally committed to MSU, was arrested by the Detroit Public Schools Police after the incident occurred.

Campbell turned down scholarship offers from Alabama, Notre Dame and Wisconsin. He is rated as the No. 9 quarterback in the country, according to Rivals.com.

Following Super Bowl, MSU ties recognized

By Ben Stram          Last updated: 02/03/14 4:56pm         

The green and white was well represented on both sidelines Sunday in Super Bowl XLVIII.

MSU had one player on both teams: Seattle Seahawks tight end Kellen Davis, and Denver Broncos defensive tackle Kevin Vickerson. However, Vickerson hasn’t been on the active roster since late November because of a hip injury that placed him on the injured-reserve for the rest of the season. Kellen Davis concluded his fifth season in the league and his first with the Seahawks.

The Seattle Seahawks had two coaches with MSU ties as well. Their assistant offensive line coach, Pat Ruel, was an assistant coach at MSU for two years. The first year he was MSU’s offensive line coach and the second he added assistant head coaching duties.

The Seahawk’s assistant strength and conditioning coach, Mondray Gee, also was a graduate assistant at MSU. He made connections with Broncos offensive coordinator, Adam Gase. Both Gase and Gee graduated Michigan State in 1999. They worked together in the years they spent at MSU.

It’s safe to say that Michigan State made an impact in East Rutherford last night.

MSU grad, ex-Lions staffer Gase playing key role for Denver coaching staff

By Ben Stram          Last updated: 02/02/14 5:23pm         

While the Detroit Lions have been eliminated from playoff contention weeks ago, MSU graduate and former Lions staff member Adam Gase continues to flourish well into February, helping to lead one of the NFL’s best teams.

Gase, 34, is the NFL’s 4th-youngest offensive coordinator for the record-breaking Denver Broncos. This offense has scored a record 606 points this season, along with many individual and career accomplishments for the players on the team.

His success didn’t come easily, though.

Gase, a Ypsilanti native, wasn’t exactly a standout in football at Marshall High, according to a report from the Detroit Free Press. While at Marshall High, he would meet then-MSU defensive coordinator Dean Pees his senior year and get his business card. This would put him in the Michigan State program for the next four years, coaching under MSU head coach Nick Saban.

Saban would go on to leave the Spartans for LSU in 1999, and Gase would be the only assistant to head down to Baton Rouge with him.

After working a variety of low-level jobs at both MSU and LSU, Mike Martz took him under his wing while he coached at Detroit and San Francisco.

After Martz was fired at San Francisco, Gase would go on to land a job as the wide receivers coach in Denver where he would coach alongside Josh McDaniels, his old friend from MSU.

In the 2011-2012 season, after two years as the wide receivers coach at Denver, Gase would become the quarterbacks coach and right-hand man to a future Hall of Famer, Peyton Manning.

Offensive coordinator Mike McCoy left for the San Diego Chargers head coaching vacancy, and Gase took over one of the NFL’s most dominant offenses and never looked back.

His success thus far has led to many discussions for Gase to be a head coaching candidate in the future. He already has declined interviews with the Cleveland Browns and Minnesota Vikings in order to focus on the Super Bowl run.

Obviously, it’s hard to gain this much success without paying the dues that come with it.

It seems pretty clear that Gase has done that and more.

Football notes: Schedule change for 2014, Bullough accepts offer to play in East-West game

By Robert Bondy          Last updated: 01/08/14 6:56pm         

While the college football season officially came to a close earlier this week, MSU made some news on Wednesday night including schedule changes to next season, potential coaching staff changes and another appearance for a Spartan great.

MSU football will have one less week to prepare for a premier match-up at Oregon next season, announcing Wednesday that the game will be moved up to Sept. 6 instead of its original Sept. 13 date.

According to Oregon’s website, the change was made to meet a national television broadcast and to guarantee the game will not be a night game, although it might still be viewed in East Lansing later in the day due to the time change.

MSU’s previously scheduled bye week for Sept. 6 will be moved to Sept. 13 now.

MSU also announced via Twitter that the Eastern Michigan and Wyoming home games have been switched. The Spartans are now taking on Eastern Michigan on Sept. 20 and Wyoming on Sept. 27.

MSU is still set to kickoff the 2014 season on Saturday Aug. 30 against Jacksonville State. If the game remains on that date, it will be the first time since 2010 that the game wasn’t on Friday night.

There was more Spartan football news on Wednesday with reports announcing defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi a finalist for the vacant Louisville Cardinals head coaching position. While the Broyles Award winner for top assistant coach in college football has interviewed with Louisville, a recent ESPN report states Western Kentucky head coach Bobby Petrino has been offered the position.

Former linebacker and two-time defensive captain Max Bullough also made news on Wednesday by accepting an offer to play in the East-West Shrine Game on Jan. 18 in St. Petersburg, Fla. The game serves as a college football all-star game for seniors who are looking to play at the next level in the NFL.

Bullough was suspended for the 2014 Rose Bowl in the early morning hours of Dec. 26, missing his final game as a Spartan for violating team rules. The reason is still unknown for why Bullough was suspended for the game.

While the suspension left a bad taste in many Spartans’ mouths, Bullough finished as one of the greatest MSU linebackers of all-time with 299 tackles, eight sacks, four forced fumbles and three interceptions.

MSU finishes 3rd in AP and USA Today polls

By Matt Sheehan          Last updated: 01/07/14 2:09pm         

Six days after winning the 100th Rose Bowl game over Stanford, MSU football ended its season at 13-1 and finished at No. 3 in the AP and USA Today Coaches polls.

In the last six years, head coach Mark Dantonio has seen his Spartans place in the top 25 four times.

MSU had an outside shot of finishing at No. 2 after Auburn lost to Florida State in Monday night’s BCS National Championship Game, but Auburn finished 43 points ahead of the green and white in the AP Poll and a mere 13 points in the USA Today Coaches Poll.

The top ten finish in the AP Poll is the first since 1999, and the No. 3 ranking also is the highest postseason ranking since 1966, when MSU was ranked No. 2 in the AP and United Press International Polls with a 9-0-1 record.

That tie came in what was regarded as “The Game of the Century” when the Spartans tied No. 1 Notre Dame 10-10.

Report: Dantonio to get new deal as MSU coach

By Stephen Brooks          Last updated: 01/02/14 5:00am         

PASADENA, Calif.MSU head coach Mark Dantonio reportedly has a deal in place to make him one of the Big Ten’s highest paid coaches.

ESPN reporter Joe Schad tweeted the following from his personal account prior to kickoff of Wednesday’s Rose Bowl: “Mark Dantonio’s new deal w Mich. St. will place he and his staff among the three-highest paid coaches in the Big Ten. Texas did reach out.”

Joe Rexrode of the Detroit Free Press confirmed Schad’s report with athletics director Mark Hollis via text message, who said the details were not ready to be released publicly yet.

Currently, Dantonio makes $1.96 million per season, which ranks ninth in the Big Ten. To join the ranks of Urban Meyer ($4.6 million), Brady Hoke ($4.154 million) and Iowa’s Kirk Ferentz ($3.985 million) who are the three highest paid in the bed.

Dantonio’s success in revitalizing the MSU program has prompted the change, and perhaps serves as a motivator to stay in East Lansing if, say, Texas came calling as Schad alleged.

“That’s very flattering, but it would be hard to leave these guys,” Dantonio told reporters after his team won the 100th Rose Bowl. “They make the plays. (It) would be hard to leave all those people out there. So while it’s very, very flattering, my intentions are to be at Michigan State. That’s all I’ll say about those things. I’ll look forward to seeing my guys come back on Monday morning for classes. “

Five storylines to watch in the Rose Bowl

By Stephen Brooks          Last updated: 12/31/13 1:10am         

In the final year of the BCS format in Division I football, MSU will get its long-awaited shot in arguably the premier post-season destination outside of the national championship.

When the No. 4 Spartans take on No. 5 Stanford, champion of the Pac-12, in the Rose Bowl on New Year’s Day, it will be the realization of a longstanding goal for head coach Mark Dantonio’s program. MSU narrowly missed BCS bowl bids in 2010 and 2011, but rebounded from a disappointing 7-6 campaign a year ago behind a resurgent offense led by first-year starting quarterback Connor Cook and a vicious defense that ranks No. 1 in the country.

As the Spartans’ dream becomes reality in Pasadena, Calif., in what is expected to be a majority MSU crowd, here are five storylines to watch:

1. Missing Max?
Since the Spartans touched down in California on Christmas night, the biggest story surrounding their team has been the shocking announcement of senior linebacker Max Bullough’s suspension.

I wrote in a column Saturday how Bullough’s absence on the field won’t be as detrimental as the distraction the situation created and the potential void in leadership presented.

I’ve been wrong before and I could be wrong again. Stanford wants to out-tough opponents offensively, much like MSU, with a power running attack behind a bulky offensive line.

How much Bullough’s ability to adapt the defense and process things on the field is missed should be evident early.

The Spartans have other leaders, and it’s incredibly hard to believe they won’t be fired up to play in this game, so I’m not sure they’ll need him too much in that regard.

But if Stanford finds a way to exploit Bullough’s absence in the running game, it’s possible MSU’s defense could be taken advantage of in a way not previously seen in 2013.

Senior Kyler Elsworth is expected to start in Bullough’s place, while sophomore Darien Harris also may see time in the middle.

2. We’re here, now what?
From the moment Dantonio was hired in 2007, the openly stated goal for his program was to return to the Rose Bowl – a venue the Spartans haven’t played in since 1988.

The previously mentioned near-misses in 2010 and 2011 left bitter tastes in the mouths of MSU players and coaches alike. Now that the Spartans finally made their return, they now have to worry about actually winning the Rose Bowl.

Since hitting the West Coast, they’ve been showered in bowl gifts and new gear, participated in a prime rib eating contest and enjoyed a comedy show as a team in addition to enjoying the sunny California weather.

For so long, MSU strived to get to this game. Now that it’s there, will the Spartans be content with participating or be prepared to win?

3. Trench warfare
It’s often said that whichever team dominates the line of scrimmage wins the game, and that adage couldn’t be more fitting for this matchup.

As previously mentioned, the Cardinal will line up with multiple tight ends and offensive linemen and look to knock the Spartans off the ball with a bruising rushing attack.

Stanford is an old-school, power offense with few frills and gimmicks averaging more than 210 yards per game on the ground.

MSU also relies on the running game to get its wheels turning and open things up for Cook in the passing game, but Stanford, No. 3 nationally in rush defense, will be the toughest challenge yet.

If either team gains a decisive advantage up front, it’s odds of winning should increase tremendously.

4. Langford’s streak
Outside of Cook, junior running back Jeremy Langford’s emergence at running back has been the surprise story on offense for the 2013 Spartans. Langford cemented himself as the starter early and grew into a potent weapon as the season wore on.

Currently, he’s riding a streak of eight 100-yard rushing games, many of which included breakaway touchdowns to ice games late in the fourth quarter.

Ohio State tried to stack the box to stymie Langford in the Big Ten Championship Game, and Stanford is likely to do the same.

If Langford can keep the 100-yard streak alive, and possibly even deliver another late-game dagger, it’ll be one of the keys for the Spartans to leave Pasadena with smiles on their faces.

5. Going out on top
After beating the Buckeyes for the Big Ten championship, MSU had been ranked No. 1 in the country in total defense for 13 consecutive weeks.

The Spartans give up an average of 248.2 yards per game, giving them a slight nod ahead of the No. 2 defense, Louisville, at 251.5 yards per game.

Can MSU hold on to its top ranking? Somebody much smarter than me would have to figure out exactly how many yards MSU can surrender for that to be true.

If the Spartans get torched, that probably means they lose the game and the No. 1 spot. One of defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi’s favorite lines is “stats are for losers,” but there’s no denying that finishing the year as the top-ranked defense would be a feather in MSU’s cap, especially with a Rose Bowl victory.

This has been a benchmark year for the Spartan defense, which began its ascent as an elite unit in 2010. The finale, pitted against one of the best offenses it’s seen thus far, should be exciting to watch.