Saturday, November 1, 2014

I'm a Vegetarian: Day 5

By          Posted: 01/23/09 9:33am         

I’ve noticed an interesting development in my diet.

I’m not only getting used to a meatless diet, but the idea of eating meat is starting to make me feel, well, queasy.

I don’t think my meat-uneasiness has to do with the idea of eating an animal, and I’m not advocating for either side in regards to the controversy over animal slaughter or eating flesh. I honestly think my body is becoming used to an increased intake of vegetables and grains and therefore is satisfied with the fuel provided by my meat-free diet. It’s amazing how fast the body can adjust, even within a matter of days.

I also think I am psychologically becoming weaned off meat and no longer feel like I “need” it, and in fact have an adverse mental reaction to meat that manifests itself physically.

An example of this odd reaction occurred this morning at breakfast. I’m usually not a huge breakfast eater to begin with because my stomach doesn’t feel “awake” enough in the morning, so I tend to start my day with a light meal. A heavy breakfast is always a no-no in my book, although in Brody it’s common for eggs, some sort of breakfast meat, a form of potatoes and other hardy breakfast items to be served daily. Normally I just pass this breakfast counter without a second thought, unless I want some scrambled eggs.

Until today, when the smell caught me completely off guard.

I smelled the meat. The smell of sausage and ham wafted over to me and I nearly retched. The very idea of eating meat seemed overwhelming and I felt like my body couldn’t handle it. Meat suddenly seemed like the last thing on earth I’d want to try and digest.

I’m not sure if this is a common occurrence among vegetarians, and if this perceived intolerance for the smell and taste of meat is actually physical (the body not being used to digesting it anymore) or psychological (the “ick factor,” as I call it). Insight into this phenomenon can be found at www.chow.com. I guess we’ll see by the end of the week. Even if I try poultry again at some point, I don’t think I’m going back to red meat.

And just to keep everyone updated, my daily food diary included:

• Plain doughnut
  • Milk
  • Ensure shakes
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Strawberry yogurt
  • Raspberry granola
  • Macaroni and cheese
  • Peanut butter granola bar
  • Green beans
  • Sautéed zucchini
  • Garlic mashed potatoes
  • Salad with lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers, broccoli and ranch dressing
  • Chocolate ice cream

The upcoming weekend promises new vegetarian adventures as I’m going home for a couple days. My parents are immigrants from Germany and Iran, nations where meat is a common staple in local cuisine, so my family favors eating meat with at least one meal per day. I’m the least carnivorous of them all to begin with, so it’ll be interesting to see how I manage vegetarianism at home. I plan to invest in bulk beans, lentils, brown rice, and plenty of vegetables for stir fry from my local Whole Foods store, .
www.wholefoodsmarket.com.