Tuesday, October 22, 2024

MSU focuses on Ohio State rematch at Breslin Center

Freshman guard Brandon Dawson lays up the ball Saturday night at Breslin Center. The Michigan State Spartans beat the Nebraska Cornhuskers 62-34. Derek Berggren/The State News

The No. 5 MSU basketball team could have an extra-special Senior Day on Sunday.

With Tuesday’s 70-55 loss at No. 18 Indiana, the Spartans (24-6 overall, 13-4 Big Ten) host a default championship game at Breslin Center against No. 10 Ohio State (24-6, 12-5).

MSU already clinched at least a share, but with a win, the Spartans would capture the title outright. If the Buckeyes win, the championship would finish in possible three-team tie with No. 13 Michigan.

“It’s everything you dream about,” head coach Tom Izzo said. “As a coach you dream about putting your team in a position to share something special. And that’s what we have an opportunity to do. Last day, a chance to win a Big Ten championship outright and hang a banner.”

Sunday will be the last game at Breslin for two of the most decorated seniors in forward Draymond Green and guard Austin Thornton — along with guard Brandon Wood and center Anthony Ianni.

“It’s the last game at Bres,” Green said.

“It’s going to be emotional. It’ll be a lot better emotions if we can get a win.”

The loss to Indiana could have put the Spartans in a hole, but if they bounce back, they know they can win.

“We just have to do what we’ve done the whole year, prepare how we have the whole season,” Wood said. “Just come out and play with passion. When we do that, that’s when we’re successful.”

The game itself will be a rematch of Feb. 11’s game in Columbus, Ohio, which saw MSU come away with a season-defining domination of the then-No. 3 Buckeyes who had won 39-straight games at home.

“It was a win under our belt, I don’t think it did anything for our confidence,” Green said. “It was a great place to win at.”

In the first game, the center combo of junior Derrick Nix and sophomore Adreian Payne forced Buckeye center Jared Sullinger to turn the ball over and shoot 5-for-15.

Still, the All-Big Ten player scored 17 points and grabbed 16 rebounds.

And Sullinger is coming off a 22 point, 18 rebound performance on Wednesday night in a 75-73 win at Northwestern.

Izzo said the team has several plans for Sullinger, as the Buckeyes will likely have an answer for the plan that was effective last game.

“Remember, last game he had 17 points, 16 rebounds,” Izzo said. “All the plan wasn’t great. We have a couple of different ways to cover him.

Hopefully one of them is we’ll get up and down the court a little more.”

The night can be special, and the players want to send out the senior class on the highest note.

“We’re not gonna lay down,” Green said.

“It’s gonna be a dog fight. We just have to make sure we come out on top. Last man standing. That’s what you always want to be.”

Roe suits up
There’s a hope former forward player Delvon Roe will be in uniform on Sunday.

Roe retired from the team in the fall because of knee injuries and would have been a senior playing his final home game Sunday.

“We know what we can do with him,” Izzo said of Roe, who still has a locker in the Spartan locker room. “We’re not going to petition him to play, we just petition for him to be maybe in uniform. Or what we can do with him during the game or after the game.”

Share and discuss “MSU focuses on Ohio State rematch at Breslin Center” on social media.