Clean energy on campus requires president’s support

Weeks ago, ASMSU’s Student Assembly voted unanimously to pass a resolution to switch from burning 250,000 tons of dirty coal annually on campus to 100 percent renewable energy.

This resolution passed unanimously because there is overwhelming support from the MSU student body to have the university do the right thing. The Earth is taking a great deal of damage due to our desire for “convenient” and “reliable” energy.

To solve the climate crisis, our economic crisis and preserve the health of all Spartans and community members, we must stop using dirty energy and switch to 100 percent renewable energy.

MSU MSU MSU

Students in MSU Greenpeace, MSU Beyond Coal and MSU ECO will continue building student and community support this semester, rallying the public to the cause and spreading the knowledge of how bad it can be to use coal.

Next week, these groups are planning to re-enact the historic image of the “Raising of the Flag on Iwo Jima” with a wind turbine instead of a flag.

Hopefully, this act will inspire students and community members to act against things that harm the environment as well as educate as many people as possible on the dangers of fossil fuels and the wonders of clean, renewable energy.

If MSU can set the example and actually “Go Green,” then there is nothing stopping all of the other universities and colleges across the country from doing the same.

This issue is real and is right on top of us. Now we need Simon, the MSU Board of Trustees and the MSU Energy Steering Committee to answer our call to action.

Please do the right thing for Spartans, our economy and our planet – switch from dirty fossil fuels to wind and solar.

Students will accept nothing less.

Dan Totzkay, nutritional sciences freshman and a member of MSU Greenpeace and MSU ECO

Share and discuss “Clean energy on campus requires president’s support ” on social media.