Spartan Dance Center moves to new location

Instructor Tiffany Russel leads a dance class Tuesday at Spartan Dance Center, 3498 Lake Lansing Road. The Center recently moved from it's previous location on Ann Street to the new Lake Lansing Road location. Matt Radick/The State News
Instructor Tiffany Russel leads a dance class Tuesday at Spartan Dance Center, 3498 Lake Lansing Road. The Center recently moved from it's previous location on Ann Street to the new Lake Lansing Road location. Matt Radick/The State News —
Photo by Matt Radick | and Matt Radick The State News

After only six months of operation in downtown East Lansing, Spartan Dance Center is closing its doors and moving north.

The dance studio, formerly located at 217 Ann St., closed its doors because the building is scheduled to be torn down for redevelopment, said Tiffany Russell, owner of Spartan Dance Center. She said a new studio is under construction in Gaslight Village on Abbot Road and classes are being held in a temporary location at 3498 Lake Lansing Road., Suite 130, until the new location is finished.

Russell said she considered moving to other sites in the downtown area, but rent prices, space needed for classes and other factors prompted her to look elsewhere in East Lansing for her studio’s new home.

“We were hoping to be able to stay downtown, (but) there wasn’t anything that really worked,” Russell said.

The dance center was popular among community members and likely will be missed by some residents in the downtown, East Lansing Community Development Specialist Heather Pope said in an e-mail.

“We heard a lot of positive feedback about Spartan Dance Center from downtown businesses and the users of the dance center,” Pope said. “They brought additional people to downtown East Lansing by providing a service not currently offered by another business.”

Pope said the redevelopment project in the Spartan Dance Center’s former Ann Street location likely would be completed in 2011 and will include retail, commercial and residential space.

Wittney Ransome, a hospitality business senior who has taken her daughter to classes at Spartan Dance Center, said the new location would be more convenient for her because of its close proximity to her home. But she said the studio might lose some business from students living closer to downtown East Lansing.

“The location they were in was prime, with all the college students around,” Ransome said.
Ransome said she had considered signing her daughter up for classes again before she heard the studio was moving, but now is confident she’s going to because it’s so close.

Russell said she was not too worried about potential loss of customers because of the largely positive feedback she’s received about the move. She said of the nearly 600 people in her studio’s customer database, only 23 complained of the move and wished the new location was closer to campus, and many were pleased the center was moving so they wouldn’t have to pay for parking in the city.

“Everyone was very excited about the free parking,” Russell said. “We’re still close to a huge base of our student population, a lot of (whom) were already driving to get here.”

She said the center likely would prosper on Abbot Road because of the current growth in that part of East Lansing.

“(There’s) so much housing growth and student growth — everything is moving (in) this direction of the city,” Russell said. “We’re very excited we made this decision.”

Share and discuss “Spartan Dance Center moves to new location” on social media.