Sunday, May 12, 2024

MSU salaries increase above average rates

Salaries for full-time faculty in various capacities at MSU increased in 2009-10 at rates higher than the national average and most Big Ten institutions, according to data from a report released Monday on faculty salaries across the U.S.

Figures from the report, released by the American Association of University Professors, or AAUP, showed salaries for full-time MSU faculty — including professors, associate and assistant professors and instructors — increased at percentages above and sometimes double the national average of 1.2 percent from the year previous.

Although most Big Ten institutions saw full-time faculty salary increases, four of the 11 schools saw partial or total salary decreases for full-time faculty, according to the AAUP report.

Dave Byelich, director of MSU’s Office of Planning and Budgets, said the salary increases at MSU pushed the university up in the Big Ten in terms of faculty salary averages and faculty compensation averages. The latter set factors in health care and retirement contributions, among other benefits.

According to documents from MSU’s Office of Planning and Budgets, MSU moved from ninth to seventh place in terms of faculty salary averages in 2009-10, with an average of $97,452. The university moved from fifth to fourth place in terms of faculty compensation averages at $130,190 in total benefits.

Northwestern University and the University of Michigan placed first and second, respectively, in the Big Ten, both in terms of faculty salary and compensation averages. Both universities’ 2009-10 full-time faculty salary averages increased above the national average, according to the AAUP report.

Byelich said MSU’s numbers can be attributed to a 2 percent, merit-based increase last year in total salaries. Additionally, the university wanted to stay competitive in terms of faculty retention and recruitment, he said.

“A number of institutions did not give salary increases last year, and Michigan State probably was in the minority in the Big Ten,” Byelich said. “We were very concerned that we needed to maintain a competitive position in the face of difficult economic circumstances.”

John Curtis, AAUP’s director of research and public policy, said there are several caveats to the report’s findings.

Curtis said the report is compiled using figures submitted by colleges and universities detailing salaries throughout a nine-month period, during the fall and spring semesters. Pay received in the summer by full-time faculty is not included in the report.

Administrative employees and medical school faculty also are not included in the report. In spite of this, Curtis said the report’s findings mostly provide a cautionary tale for faculty and administrators in times of economic dismay and reduced budgets.

“The main recommendation we have is that (salary) decisions be made not by a small group of administrators, but rather be made through involvement of the various groups who are involved … to talk about what the priorities are,” Curtis said.

Danielle DeVoss, an associate professor and associate chairperson of writing, rhetoric and American cultures at MSU, said she feels the university has done well in terms of salaries and compensation, although she noted budget reductions and the economy could take their toll on both.

“I think the university has been doing an appropriate and adequate job in maintaining excellence while doing some significant streamlining,” DeVoss said.

Share and discuss “MSU salaries increase above average rates” on social media.