Swenson talks about NFL Draft prep, football future

Swenson

One day after the Spartans’ 41-31 loss to Texas Tech in the Valero Alamo Bowl, former MSU kicker Brett Swenson went to Miami to prepare for the NFL Draft.

Swenson, who graduated as the most prolific kicker in MSU history, leaving as the school’s all-time leader in scoring (377 points), field goals (71 made) and extra points (164 made), participated in the Senior Bowl and the NFL Combine earlier this year.

The Pompano Beach, Fla., native made one field goal and all four extra point attempts in the Senior Bowl on Jan. 30. Swenson was at MSU’s Pro Day on Wednesday but did not participate in any drills.

After the drills were completed, Swenson talked to The State News about what he’s hearing regarding his football future.

State News How do you stay grounded, knowing you’re the top kicker on the board?

Brett Swenson That’s some people’s views, but you don’t know what’s true and what’s not, so I’m going out there treating it like any other day. You can’t get complacent; you have to continue to work, and that’s what I’ve been doing; just trying to put myself in the best situation to succeed.

SN Are there any specific teams that are talking to you more than others?
BS Between the Combine and the Senior Bowl, I’ve met with just about all the teams. Obviously, certain teams need kickers, others don’t; but I feel like I’ve had some strong meetings, and I guess you really don’t know, but some went strong, and I guess we’ll find out a month from now if anyone liked me.

SN What have some of the scouts told you so far?
BS A lot of them have good things to say about me. I think it’s been strong. I’m happy with what I’ve heard and the way I’ve been performing. I’m just going to continue to get better. There’s always room for improvement, and that’s what my focus is.

SN How was it going to Miami and kicking in the warm weather?
BS It was nice. That’s one of the reasons I went down to Miami was being able to kick outside. In (the indoor practice facility), it’s not as high, so I can’t kick off, so I was able to train and do what I needed to do down in Miami. That’s where my agent is based out of. It was nice being down there.

SN Adding distance to your kickoff was a concern in the fall. Is that something you’ve been focusing on?
BS Between my lifting and changing form, I’ve been hitting the ball very well. I’m very satisfied with where I am, but obviously, I can still do better. At the Combine, I think I showed that to teams, and I’ll continue to do things to prove that my leg is there. I was happy with how I performed, and that’s really what it comes down to.

Share and discuss “Swenson talks about NFL Draft prep, football future” on social media.