Students petition circus' return to Breslin Center

MSU administrators recently decided to allow the Royal Hanneford Circus to perform at Breslin Center after previously banning them due to animal rights concerns and protests by Students Promoting Animal Rights, an MSU student organization. Students discuss how they feel about the decision.

About a year after MSU officials blocked a circus group from performing at Breslin Center amid allegations of animal cruelty, a student group delivered a petition Monday to MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon to protest the decision to allow the circus back on campus during spring break.

About 20 students from Students Promoting Animal Rights, or SPAR, visited Simon’s office to deliver an 850-signature petition demanding the university ban the Royal Hanneford Circus from campus. Simon personally accepted the petition.

SPAR first began protesting the circus in 2008 amid accusations of animal mistreatment. Last year, MSU officials tried compromising with the circus’ sponsors on bringing a “people-only” circus instead. The sponsors rejected the offer, and MSU officials said they would re-examine the university policy on the use of animals in on-campus entertainment.

It was the first time in 16 years the circus did not take place at Breslin. This year, the circus will run March 12-14.

Simon told the protestors that a ban on the circus would need to be handled through an ordinance by the MSU Board of Trustees, not on a university policy level. She said although she would be open to meeting with the students at a later date to discuss the matter, they might not get the ban they seek.

“I appreciate your concern,” Simon said to the protesters. “The vehicle, with respect to the actions that you want regarding the banning of the circus … is an ordinance question, not a policy question. I’m not sure the result will be everything you want.”

SPAR President Mitch Goldsmith said past actions indicate Simon has as much power as the board to ban the circus.

He said the decision to disallow the circus on campus last year was a joint action by Simon and the board.

Goldsmith also said SPAR forwarded a fact sheet to several administrators from the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals alleging that the Royal Hanneford Circus had been cited numerous times for improper facilities and mistreatment of its animal entertainers. Goldsmith said the group forwarded video proof that an animal trainer with the circus physically abused elephants during a 2008 training session in East Lansing.

“(Simon is) condoning that kind of behavior if she’s not taking any sort of stance on this issue,” Goldsmith said. “If she’s saying ‘My hands are tied,’ then she’s supporting this type of behavior. That’s not acceptable.”

University spokesman Terry Denbow said he was unaware of the materials distributed by SPAR.

Simon said the university officials, including the board, collaborated to revise MSU’s policy to clarify certain aspects of the use of animal entertainers in on-campus events.

Those clarifications were applied when processing the circus’ application to perform on campus this year, she said.

According to a document from Denbow, the revised policy said those wishing to include animal entertainers must provide their license from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, or USDA, and must have a veterinarian on call.

Goldsmith said SPAR plans to protest the circus when it comes to campus. He also said the group will not stop its fight until there is a ban on the circus at MSU.

Kristy Currier, chairperson of ASMSU’s Academic Assembly, said the university’s undergraduate student government also disagrees with the decision to allow the circus back on campus. ASMSU’s Academic and Student assemblies passed a joint bill last spring asking the administration to ban the circus because of the circus’ past citations from the USDA.

“ASMSU basically doesn’t agree with the decision to bring the circus back to East Lansing, and we will make that known to the Board of Trustees,” Currier said.

Tim Barron, an advertising agent with a Lansing-based center that hosts the circus when it comes to East Lansing, said although he understands concerns when animals are involved in entertainment venues, he is happy to bring the circus back to Breslin Center.

Share and discuss “Students petition circus' return to Breslin Center” on social media.