Expert to speak on cougar population

A debate that has raged for several years within Michigan during the existence of a breeding population of cougars will come to East Lansing next week.

Dennis Fijalkowski, a wildlife executive who has spoken to residents in the past, will be at the East Lansing Hannah Community Center, 819 Abbot Road, on March 26 to talk about cougars.

The status of cougars in Michigan has been the subject of discussion after a January Senate hearing. Eyewitnesses testified to cougars’ existence, but the Michigan Department of Natural Resources won’t acknowledge them.

“We don’t dispute the fact that there are random, transient cougars coming in from the nearest breeding population in the Dakotas, but there’s no scientific evidence to say otherwise,” said Mary Dettloff, public information officer for the DNR.

Other wildlife agencies such as the Michigan Wildlife Conservancy, however, believe the DNR should recognize the population.

“We want to help citizens know there are cougars in the state, and we should be teaching that,” said Fijalkowski, who is executive director of the conservancy.

Fijalkowski said it is important to acknowledge a breeding population so residents can take caution when walking in the woods. He said the DNR hasn’t acknowledged cougars because it would have to fund their protection.

Fijalkowski said there have been several cougar sighted on the south end of MSU’s campus.

The DNR confirmed two sets of cougar tracks in the upper peninsula last year, but officials said they don’t have enough evidence to acknowledge a population.

Witnesses said they’ve undeniably seen the animals.

Wendy Chamberlain, a township supervisor for Parma Township in Jackson County, said she saw a cougar in 2005.

“The color (gave it away),” Chamberlain said. “They have a tawny, tan color with a distinct black on the tail.”

Share and discuss “Expert to speak on cougar population” on social media.