Monday, September 23, 2024

Consider motive behind vote, make an informed decision

Before you cast your vote today, think of the reasons why you’re voting the way you are. Is it because you’re well-informed of all the issues? Maybe it’s because you’re a stern Democrat or Republican? Or for many people in the United States, maybe it’s because they’re taking on the “everyone else is” attitude?

As I look around campus and talk to my classmates, it seems everyone has jumped aboard the Barack Obama bandwagon. Then when I ask what policies of Democratic presidential candidate Obama’s they like, many people only can give vague answers such as, “He’ll help our economy.” Many people voting today have very limited knowledge about their celebrity candidate and even less knowledge about Republican presidential candidate John McCain. In a society where popularity contests like “American Idol” get more votes cast than the presidential election, it makes me wonder how many people vote solely based on popularity and not on the credentials of each candidate.

If you really feel that Obama is the right choice to lead our nation, and you’re well-informed of all his policies, then by all means make your voice heard and go out and vote. But don’t vote for Obama just because he’s the cooler candidate. Take some time today, do a little research and become a well-informed voter.

Kevin Salata

food industry management senior

Share and discuss “Consider motive behind vote, make an informed decision ” on social media.