Survey: Drunken driving hits 8-year low for MSU students

The number of students who drive after drinking is at an almost eight-year low, according to a report released by Olin Health Center.

In 2000, 61 percent of those surveyed said they didn’t drive after consuming any alcohol. That number has increased to 76 percent in the 2008 survey.

Also increased is the number of students who don’t drive after consuming five or more drinks — up to 97 percent in 2008 from 91 percent in 2000, said Dennis Martell, the coordinator for health education for Olin.

“I think we have a student body that really is health conscious and is making good decisions about all kinds of health,” Martell said. “Mostly as students learn that other people don’t drink and drive they realize that’s the norm and they want to be the norm.”

Students at MSU also are drinking less when they go out, the opposite of the national trend, Martell said.

Other results from the survey said that fewer students are smoking and more are exercising and using protection during sex.

The survey is conducted every two years by the Office of Survey Research in the Institute for Public Policy and Social Research at MSU, said Jason Cody of University Relations.

Olin pays for the survey, Martell said.

The survey is called the National College Health Assessment and is done by the American College Health Association. The data from MSU is put together with data from more than 100 other universities, Martell said.

About 3,800 surveys were sent out to a random sample of MSU students in March. Of those, 1,660 students responded to the survey, Martell said.

“That’s more than enough for a statistically significant sample,” said Brian Winters of Olin Health Center.

Share and discuss “Survey: Drunken driving hits 8-year low for MSU students” on social media.