Monday, September 23, 2024

Romney right for president

Leo Madarang

Editor’s note: Leo Madarang’s information has been updated to identify him as chairman for MSU Students for Mitt Romney.

Michigan and its residents are facing a difficult time. Unemployment is close to an abysmal rate of 8 percent, the budget in Michigan is currently facing a 1.75 billion shortfall, and more than one million Michigan residents do not have health care insurance. Michigan needs strong leadership to turn things around. We already know that that type of leadership is not going to come from the head of the state, so we are forced to look to the head of the nation. With the all-important and historical 2008 election almost exactly one year away, we must really examine who would be the best candidate to turn things around for Michigan.

We must really ask ourselves, is there a candidate out there who knows and understands Michigan? Is there anyone out there with the experience in both business and government? Too bad I cannot answer the question with a Democrat. I don’t know if they understand the problems facing Michigan or have any solutions because some of them decided to turn their backs on Michigan and not participate in our primary.

But I’m sure they are hearing, seeing and addressing all the problems in Michigan while they are garnering votes in Florida, New Hampshire or South Carolina. Republican candidate Mitt Romney’s record speaks for itself.

Romney is the best candidate because he’s a hometown man. In fact, he announced his presidential candidacy at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn. He also is the son of former state Gov. George Romney. He grew up when Michigan was in its glory days. Romney saw Michigan when it was a leading manufacturer in the nation, when unemployment was low, and when this was a prosperous state.

But his ideas of turning the economy around and his history are not political rhetoric. He has the experience, the mindset and the ability to give our economy a huge boost. The unemployment rate was significantly lower after Romney left office in Massachusetts and he added more than 60,000 jobs while governor.

Throughout his life, Romney has been a successful business owner. He started out as vice president at Bain & Company Inc., a leading management consulting firm. Following that, Romney founded Bain Capital, which has become one of the nation’s most successful venture capital and investment companies.

Bain Capital has helped guide hundreds of companies on a successful course to economic surplus. Some of these companies include Staples and Domino’s Pizza. Hey, doesn’t Romney’s business experience remind you of one of Michigan’s gubernatorial candidates in 2006? That experience probably would have been helpful right now.

On top of turning the economy around, the former governor has the knowledge and skills to fix a budget deficit, which is a major problem facing Michigan currently. As governor of Massachusetts, he balanced the budget every year in office. This includes closing the gap of a $3 billion deficit he inherited when he stepped into office. What is even more impressing is the fact that he balanced the budget without raising taxes.

Wow, that’s an idea: not raising taxes to fix a budget problem! Must have been nice for the residents to keep their hard earned money — I wish we could have been so lucky. While governor, Romney made it a law that all legal citizens in Massachusetts would be assured to receive health insurance, without a government takeover and without raising taxes. I like to stress that point again, that health insurance was available to all citizens without raising taxes.

Right now, Michigan more then ever needs help from the top — the very top. Right now we need leadership, experience and a capable leader to turn Michigan around. I’m sure the Democrats have plans and ideas of their own to turn Michigan around, but we will never know because they decided to turn their backs on us.

When Jan. 15, 2008 rolls around, be sure to remember that your primary vote will and should be cast for a leader who has experience and the passion to help turn Michigan around.

Romney is the candidate for Michigan and will be at the MSU College Republicans tailgate Saturday at Spartan Stadium. Listen to him yourself, and express your concerns. You know he will be there to listen to your problems and offer solutions, but where will the Democratic candidates be?

Leo Madarang is a State News columnist, vice chairman of the MSU College Republicans, chairman of MSU Students for Mitt Romney and a political theory senior. Reach him at madaran5@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Romney right for president” on social media.