Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Abortion trumps animal cruelty

Nate Sherman

You sit down in your dorm room, turn on the TV and what do you see? The big news story about the Michael Vick dogfighting case. You think to yourself, “How can a football star commit such cruel and violent acts to poor, helpless animals?”

You hope the judge will sentence him past the sentencing guidelines (of 12-14 months in prison) and give him five years, at least.

The anger and rage you feel causes you to throw the remote at the TV.

Now, imagine you are watching the news and it is featuring the local abortion doctor at his clinic.

His day at the office was a successful one. He helped 15 women perform routine, run-of-the-mill abortions. Good for him.

What a life of shame and regret.

Do you get those same emotions that make you want to punch a hole through the wall?

Probably not.

Sadly, in our society we think because it is not convenient or that we made a mistake, we can simply say, “Well, it’s time to go down to Planned Parenthood and take care of the problem.”

Why is it that we don’t want to own up to our decisions and take responsibility for our actions?

I’m not saying people are perfect but that they have other options. What about adoption?

Many married couples can’t have children. This problem can be easily remedied.

If those individuals who have children and cannot or do not want to take care of them put the babies up for adoption, those couples will see their dreams come true and the precious gift of life will be saved.

So, why not give your “mistake” to a loving, caring family that will bring your child up to adulthood?

It’s the best thing you could do for that child instead of slaughtering that baby boy or girl.

That kid didn’t do anything to you, and you’re going to huff its life out like a lit match?

If you aren’t ready to accept the consequences, maybe it’s time to think twice about performing the actions to go along with them.

Is it because in today’s culture we think a person who kills a couple of hundred dogs should get 10 to 20 years rather than a person in the medical community who performs procedures to end millions of lives a year?

This doesn’t make any sense to me.

We have lost focus as a nation in the sense that we value a dog’s life over that of a child in its mother’s womb.

It boils down to two types of people. The first is led by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, or PETA, and other radical animal-sympathizing groups who think dog killers deserve harsher punishment because animals have special rights.

And they’re right, animals need to be given the care and comfort they deserve to thrive. These special interest groups have valid arguments in terms of saving animals. They’re innocent. However, so are human babies.

The second group of people includes people like me who believe baby killers should be locked up and the key thrown away.

I am not saying Michael Vick was justified for committing these crimes.

He did break the law and therefore should suffer the consequences.

Next time we hear about animal cruelty and think about how awful it is, we should then sadly think about the babies being aborted at an even faster rate.

It’s ridiculous the two are even compared. Both are heinous, however, it’s comparing apples to oranges. Human life cannot be compared to the lives of animals.

It’s not the same.

Sure, puppies and kittens are warm and fuzzy. They’re cute, they’re playful and they like to cuddle.

But they’re not like you and me. They’re not human. And until people understand that, we’ll never fully agree that abortion is wrong.

Nate Sherman is a State News columnist. Reach him at sherm148@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Abortion trumps animal cruelty” on social media.