Thursday, November 27, 2014

State News Olympics Blog

US women's soccer dominates Colombia

By Stephen Brooks          Posted: 07/28/12 2:37pm         

The U.S. women’s soccer team won their second game Saturday in dominating fashion, throttling Colombia, 3-0.

Midfielder Megan Rapinoe’s goal in the 33rd minute gave the U.S. a 1-0 advantage for the majority of the match. It wasn’t until the 74th minute the Americans started to pull away, at least on the scoreboard, when superstar forward Abby Wambach doubled the U.S. lead and three minutes later, midfielder Carli Lloyd sunk the third goal, which was the dagger in this matchup.

Although it might have appeared to be a close game for much of the match, it wasn’t as competitive as the score indicated. The Americans dominated the time of possession with 56 percent and registered 19 shots compared to Colombia’s eight.

The win guarantees the U.S. a spot in the knockout round, with it’s next and final match in group play coming against North Korea Tuesday.

America’s lopsided win shouldn’t come as a surprise to fans — the U.S. is favored to medal at worst, and is among the favorites to bring home the gold. The talent level and experience on this team is far superior to the majority of the competition they will face, so anything other than an appearance in the finals will be seen as a disappointment.

I wouldn’t expect the American squad to see a serious challenge until the later rounds simply because of the talent gap, which reminds me of my favorite Olympic quote of all time from 1992 Dream Team member Charles Barkley prior to facing Angola early in games: “I don’t know anything about Angola, but Angola’s in trouble.”