Friday, October 24, 2014

Opinion Blog

The woes of online shopping

By Holly Baranowski          Posted: 01/10/13 8:12pm         

In recent years, the online shopping community has grown rapidly. This past Black Friday I didn’t even have to leave the comfort of my own home or brave the crowds of people to get all the good deals.

But with so many people choosing to online shop rather than go to malls and department stores, I think I can speak for a lot of people when I say I have a tendency to spend more when I shop online.

Because all my favorite stores can store my credit card information, it’s too easy to add items to my shopping cart. In just a few clicks, I have a full cart of clothes or accessories ready to check out.

When I go out shopping, however, it usually takes up an entire afternoon. By doing this, not only do I have to hand someone cash or my card and physically see my money being taken away, but I also have the whole afternoon to figure out what I really want and don’t want.

When I go to the mall I have enough time to talk myself out of purchases and try on clothes to see what fits. When I online shop and buy something that doesn’t fit, I usually don’t end up sending it back because it’s too much of a hassle.

Although what I think really makes the difference is the satisfaction I get when I go out and buy things at a store. When shopping online, I don’t get to see my purchases right away, and therefore the gratification is delayed. In order to make up for that, I just order more. It’s a vicious cycle that’s quick to burn a hole in my pocket.

I have been trying to stay away from online shopping, but it’s been especially hard for me this year because I don’t have a car on campus. As I mentioned in my last blog, I try not to take the bus if I can help it. Without having transportation to malls, I tend to just buy online.

For those that have not noticed the correlation between empty checking accounts and online shopping, I hope reading this helps. I know I struggle to refrain from shopping and spending money, but perhaps if I resisted the temptation to do my shopping online I would save a little more money.