Sunday, April 20, 2014 | Last updated: 3:15pm

MSU Sports Blog

"Slim Gym" used by San Diego basketball teams

By Matt Sheehan          Posted: 11/28/12 8:04pm         

In the days leading up to MSU volleyball’s matchup against San Diego in the NCAA Tournament, a lot of research was done to see what the Toreros are all about.

While digging through the layers of information, I stumbled across what could be the greatest-named sports venue on the planet. The San Diego men’s and women’s basketball team, as well as their volleyball team, play in Jenny Craig Pavilion, or better known as, get this, the “Slim Gym”.

Sid Craig, co-founder of Jenny Craig Inc., one of the nations most successful weight loss companies, gave a major contribution in 1996 to build the gymnasium to honor his wife’s diligent work. Not only was it a gift to the university, but it was a Christmas gift to Jenny as well.

While neither of them attended USD, their contribution has given the university a landmark and a facility name that is second to none.

Seriously though, how can anyone not enjoy that nickname? It rhymes, displays stellar word play and tributes one of the most successful companies in America.

Unfortunately, MSU doesn’t have too much opportunity for venue nicknames. The only one that popped in mind was the Jack Breslin Student Event Center being called the “Jack Shack”, but even that is a marathon away from the likes of the “Slim Gym”.