Thursday, November 27, 2014

MSU Sports Blog

Volleyball clinches University of Connecticut Classic title

By Caleb Nordgren          Posted: 09/02/12 1:17am         

Another weekend, another tournament title for MSU volleyball.

After taking home the championship in last weekend’s Spartan Showcase in East Lansing, MSU did themselves one better as they went 3-0 for the second straight weekend, winning the University of Connecticut Classic.

Sophomore Kori Moster took home MVP of the Classic and was named to the All-Tournament team along with juniors Alexis Mathews, a middle blocker, and Lauren Wicinski, an outside hitter. In addition, the tournament title allows MSU to improve to 6-0 on the season.

The Spartans dispatch Fairfield in straight sets Friday night, building up hype for a run at the tournament title. They followed it up with a record-setting 3-0 win over Dartmouth, in which they broke the MSU record for fewest points allowed in any match — MSU allowed just 35 points over the three sets.

Interestingly, the previous record, 39, had been set just eight days prior, when the Spartans held McNeese State to 39 points over three sets in the first match of the Showcase.

Wicinski led the way with her second double-double of the season, recording 10 kills and 11 digs against Dartmouth. Junior setter Kristen Kelsay added 21 assists, Moster chipped in 14 digs of her own, and Mathews had six kills and four blocks.

Following their dominant performance on the afternoon, the Spartans took a few hours off prior to facing off with host Connecticut, or UConn, in the evening.

That match wouldn’t go much better for UConn than it did for Dartmouth, as they both lost in straight sets. Overall, Connecticut kept things closer than Dartmouth did, but the Huskies went down all the same.

Wicinski recorded her second double-double of the day with 17 kills and 10 digs, Moster posted another 16 digs, giving her 30 on the day, and Kelsay had 26 assists. Mathews chipped in another five kills and five blocks as well.

MSU returns to East Lansing next weekend to host the Auto-Owners Insurance Spartan Invitational.