Wednesday, October 1, 2014

MSU Football Blog

Spartans trail TCU 13-0 at halftime in Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl

By Zach Smith          Posted: 12/29/12 11:58pm         

Tempe, Ariz. – With one half of the final game of the 2012 campaign in the books for the MSU football team, the Spartans trail TCU 13-0 in the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl in Tempe, Ariz.

The game started with three consecutive three and outs, two by MSU and one by TCU. The Horned Frogs went on a 9 play, 73-yard drive that was capped off by a 4-yard rush by Tailback Matthew Tucker to give TCU a 7-0 lead.

MSU got their first first down of the game on the next drive, but was forced to punt again.

Just before the end of the first quarter, TCU quarterback Trevone Boykin hit receiver Kolby Listenbee on a 59-yard strike that would result in a field goal, giving TCU a 10-0 lead.

At the start of the second quarter, MSU put in redshirt freshman quarterback Connor Cook to replace junior quarterback Andrew Maxwell. He got a first down, but the drive ended in another punt from senior punter Mike Sadler who averaged 40.7 yards on 7 punts.

sports_fbctcumichst_4_ft
Texas Christian running back Matthew Tucker steps into the end zone after a 4-yard touchdown run in ...

On TCU’s next dive, Boykin completed a 61-yard pass to leading receiver Josh Boyce, but they would settle once again for a field goal.

MSU looked to gain some momentum back when junior safety Isaiah Lewis picked off a pass and returned it 29 yards, but it ended in yet another MSU punt.

On 11 rushes, junior running back Le’Veon Bell had just 38 yards, and Maxwell threw for 28 yards and completed 6 of his 13 passes.

By the end of the half, MSU punted on all seven drives to make it three straight bowl games in which they have not scored a touchdown.