Monday, September 1, 2014

MSU Football Blog

Reporter: Twitter not appropriate locale to vent frustrations

By Omari Sankofa II          Posted: 11/04/12 8:51pm         

The MSU football team definitely could have had a better Saturday evening.

Following an inspiring and much-needed 16-13 overtime victory over Wisconsin two weeks ago, the Spartans had a crushing 28-24 loss to Nebraska on Saturday, a game that many students and players would say they should have won.

The blame for Saturday’s loss mostly has gone to the refs, who many believe made sketchy calls throughout the game.

When the score was 24-14 in the fourth quarter, junior cornerback Darqueze Dennard returned an intercepted pass for a touchdown, a stunning play that then was negated due to a questionable penalty on senior Johnny Adams.

Toward the end of the fourth with Nebraska down by three, Dennard was penalized for pass-interference call that brought Nebraska the 5-yard line.

Nebraska quarterback Taylor Martinez proceeded to throw the game-winning touchdown to receiver Jamal Turner with six seconds left on the clock.

With frustrations running high, several Spartans turned to Twitter after the game to voice some disapproval.

Junior running back Le’Veon Bell tweeted “#ShoutOut to the refs…yall won the game tonight! Toughest team we played all year…”

Junior nose tackle Denzel Drone shared a similar sentiment, tweeting “Thanks to the big ten referees y’all won the game once again for the opponent of MSU!!!! Y’all some bums for this one!!!”

Although many students felt the same way, these tweets, which since have been deleted, were completely unnecessary.

Complaining about questionable calls to head coach Mark Dantonio is fine. Complaining to the media would have been more acceptable.

Complaining to Twitter solves absolutely nothing. Instead of drawing light to a valid point, the players vented to their followers, which isn’t the best way to successfully argue a point.

Just ask Lindsay Lohan.

As an athlete, part of the job is remaining classy in the face of adversity. The refereeing affected the outcome of the game, no doubt. But the refs didn’t catch the touchdown pass for Nebraska, nor did they allow Martinez to run 35 yards for a touchdown with roughly seven minutes left to play.

The loss is just another in what has been a disappointing season for the Spartans. Hanging your head and complaining only compounds the disappointment, which is the last thing a team that is 2-4 in the Big Ten needs.

In the future, players should channel their frustrations toward playing at a higher level in the future, not toward blaming the fall guy. After all, it’s not like the refs are going anywhere anytime soon.