Friday, October 31, 2014

Hoop, There It Is!

Unclear if Harris has broken through freshman wall

By Dillon Davis          Posted: 01/29/13 11:19pm         

After several weeks of hearing about hitting the freshman wall, it’s only natural for Gary Harris to
have grown tired of it. Following a standout performance against Indiana, Harris is hoping he
finally put the talk to rest.

The freshman guard had a team-high 21 points in a 75-70 road loss to the then-No. 7 Indiana on
Sunday and was a consistent scoring threat against one of the nation’s toughest teams.

However, the question remains whether Harris actually has broken through the freshman wall or
if it was one game adrenaline rush in a return to his home state.

When asked on Tuesday if he’s finally broken through his first-year barrier, Harris only could
smile before saying “We’ll see.”

“Yeah, it’s obviously something you don’t want to hear,” Harris said. “I mean, ‘Oh you’ve hit a
wall, you’ve hit a wall.’ (I) felt like I haven’t. But I mean, it’s obvious that you have so I just gotta
keep on it and it’s gonna be all right.”

Addressing a similar question at his weekly press conference on Monday, head coach Tom Izzo
said he’s not afraid to play any of his freshmen as long as they’re able to continue making plays.

While acknowledging the hostile environment at Assembly Hall contributed to Harris’ play
against the Hoosiers, Izzo said the young guard continues to improve this season.

“I think some of it’s adrenaline,” Izzo said. “But some of it I think is something that doesn’t
usually happen and goes the whole year. It takes a couple weeks and this could be a good
week, too, because not as many games, because it won’t be as hard on either one of them.”