Monday, July 28, 2014

Hoop, There It Is!

Report: MSU to play in unique 2013 opener at Cowboys Stadium

By Dillon Davis          Posted: 12/06/12 1:09pm         

As the adage goes, everything is bigger in Texas — and that might soon apply to college basketball.

In yet another opener to honor the miltary, the MSU men’s basketball team is open its season on Veterans Day in 2013 in an event created by MSU athletic director Mark Hollis. In an interview with Sports Illustrated’s Seth Davis, Hollis said the Spartans would be one of eight teams playing in an event featuring four games simultaneously happening at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

Details regarding the event have not been finalized.

The event at Cowboys Stadium, which also is the site of the 2014 Final Four, is expected to feature four games starting 15 minutes apart and be held side by side, Hollis told Sports Illustrated.

“We’re going to squeeze everything into a three-hour time period,” Hollis said to Sports Illustrated. “We’re talking with eight institutions right now that have a very high interest and have that weekend open, and we’re going to partner with the 12 [military] bases that are around Dallas, so we can make it a celebration for the guys at Fort Hood and others.”

During the past two years, the Spartans have opened their seasons aboard the USS Carl Vinson off the coast of San Diego for the inaugural Carrier Classic and in an aircraft hanger at Ramstein Air Force Base in Germany, respectively.