Thursday, October 2, 2014

Academics and Administration Blog

Use of tumblr becoming more frequent across colleges nationwide

By Christine LaRouere          Posted: 02/14/13 6:54pm         

Between Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest, social media has taken over the internet and universities seem to be cathching onto the trend.

According to TIME, universities around the U.S. are starting to utilize tumblr. Universities who have tumblrs have noticed more interaction with young bloggers. By posting pictures and events going on around campus, universities are realizing this form of comminication has helped them attract students who are interested in the university.

Universities such as Yale University are taking advantage of tumblr as part of their admissions process. Emmanuel Quartey, who runs Yale University’s tumblr, told TIME that admissions offices like to talk to potential students in a more casual way.

“As universities have become more familiar with social media, it isn’t as scary to jump into this new thing,” Quartey said. “They’re reaching kids they might otherwise not reach.”

The university tumblrs also allow students to ask questions about the admission process for that university and have contast contact with univeristy admissions.

MSU has three tumblrs to help bring in more information such as MSU Facts, MSU Memes memesand Life at MSU to make the university more welcoming.

TIME said since the application process is so static, these Tumblr blogs are going to make students more comfortable and help them to see the university differently. It helps students see that college can be fun.

Grace Chapin, who started University of Chicago’s tumblr, told TIME that these type of blogs make the entering college a bit easier.

“It takes the edge off the college process when you know, ‘This is an academic place, but there will be people at this place that enjoy a good cat picture as much as I do,’” Chapin said.