Sunday, October 26, 2014

Academics and Administration Blog

Discussion continues across country over religion and education

By Christine LaRouere          Posted: 02/20/13 9:18pm         

The debate of whether students should be allowed to practice religion in public places continues to go on across the country.

However, Muslim students from Parkdale High School in Maryland now are allowed to walk out of class to pray if they have parent permission and stable grades, according to The Washington Post.

In the article, the principle of the high school, Cheryl Logan, said this was the best way to accommodate their Muslim students.

“I’ve been real happy with how we’ve been able to deal with it without it becoming an issue,” Logan said to The Washington Post.

One of the many religious groups at MSU includes the MSU Muslim Students’ Association, or MSUMSA.

On the group’s website, it says there is no excuse to not pray.

One of the support services the group provides is tips for students to fit in their 5 prayer times throughout the day across various parts of campus.

The website mentions MSU’s prayer room in Anthony Hall as a great resource because it also provides prayer rugs and beads.

The Washington Post also talked to Charles Haynes, director of the Religious Freedom Education Project at the Newseum, and an expert who writes and speaks on religious liberty and religion in American public life.

In the article, he said that it would be better to keep the practicing of religion the same for all students and the decision of which Muslim students get to pray could cause problems.

“I don’t think that’s a good idea,” Haynes said in the article.