ASMSU to elect next student body president, vice presidents

Vice President for Internal Administration Katherine Rifiotis addresses the general assembly during an ASMSU meeting on Aug. 27, 2017 at Student Services. Rifiotis is a junior studying Political Theory and Constitutional Democracy with a minor in Political Economy and Latin American Studies.
Vice President for Internal Administration Katherine Rifiotis addresses the general assembly during an ASMSU meeting on Aug. 27, 2017 at Student Services. Rifiotis is a junior studying Political Theory and Constitutional Democracy with a minor in Political Economy and Latin American Studies. —
Photo by Anntaninna Biondo | The State News

The Associated Students of Michigan State University, or ASMSU, will elect its next Office of the President Wednesday and Thursday.

Students from colleges and student organizations across campus have been elected by their peers to serve as representatives in ASMSU's 55th session. These students will cast their votes to determine the next leaders of the undergraduate student body.

Political theory and constitutional democracy senior Katherine “Cookie” Rifiotis is the sole candidate for ASMSU’s next student body president. Rifiotis has served as vice president for internal administration since 2016 and is also the associate director of the Association of Big Ten Students.

According to her application, Rifiotis has been in ASMSU her entire time at MSU and wants to elevate the organization to the best it can be. 

"Never, in my knowledge, has our university needed such a united student voice in order to move forward and improve on various fronts," Rifiotis wrote in her application. "I honestly believe that I will serve as this leader, who above all is a team player and who's main attribute is bringing people together."

The most highly-contested position in the Office of the President is vice president for academic affairs with four candidates. 

The candidates include comparative cultures and politics senior Samuel Klahn, social relations and policy sophomore China Gross, comparative cultures and politics junior Kelsie Luokkala and political theory and constitutional democracy junior Dylan Westrin.

Luokkala, Westrin and Klahn ran for James Madison College representative, but were not elected.

Vice president for governmental affairs has three candidates. These include political science prelaw senior Eli Pales, economics freshman Dale Kruithoff and environmental economics and management sophomore Tanner Mathy.

Two candidates are vying to become vice president for internal administration. Political science sophomore Mario Kakos will compete against Klahn, who is also running for the position.

Finance senior Dan Iancio is running for reelection for vice president for finance and operations unopposed. 

Business junior Makenzie Bosworth is also unopposed in her bid to become vice president for student allocations.

Share and discuss “ASMSU to elect next student body president, vice presidents” on social media.