ASMSU policy committee weighs sexual assault-related bills

The general assembly sits during the debate about the bill to condemn MSU administration in regards to their handling of the Larry Nassar case on Jan. 18, 2018, at the MSU International Center. The bill passed with a unanimous vote.

At its March 15 meeting, the policy committee within the Associated Students of Michigan State University, or ASMSU, discussed impending legislation and voting efforts. ASMSU's general assembly will meet Thursday to further discuss these acts and bills.

ALERT Act

The policy committee voted to advocate for the passage of an act that would require universities across the country to submit certification that the president and at least one member of the Board of Trustees had reviewed all sexual misconduct incidents reported to the school's Title IX office.

The Accountability of Leaders in Education to Report Title IX Investigation, or ALERT, Act, introduced by U.S. Senators Gary Peters, Debbie Stabenow and John Cornyn, was written in response to the ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar scandal and aims to "hold universities accountable for sexual abuse."

The bill from ASMSU to advocate for the ALERT Act states ASMSU "fully support (sic) this bipartisan effort to hold university leadership accountable for preventing sexual assaults on their campuses." 

It passed through the policy committee, but in order for it to become an official resolution, ASMSU's general assembly must vote on it at its next meeting. 

"This is an incredible way to standardize the procedure and spread accountability across multiple levels of administration," Lyman Briggs College Representative Ben Horne said. 

Senate Bill 903

The policy committee also discussed Senate Bill 903, which, if passed, would give a higher penalty to mandatory reporters at the university level who fail to report sexual assaults.

Senate Bill 903, also known as the Postsecondary Student Protection Act, was introduced by Sen. Rick Jones on March 15. The bill aims to "require certain individuals to report suspected sexual assaults of postsecondary students; to provide for the protection of postsecondary students who are sexually assaulted; and to prescribe penalties."

One of the penalties described in this bill is making it a "felony punishable by imprisonment for not more than seven years or a fine of not more than $15,000, or both" for individuals employed by the institution who fail to report sexual assault that they know of.

ASMSU representatives within the policy committee, many of whom are mandatory reporters themselves, discussed how there is very little information on the responsibilities of a mandatory reporter at MSU. Currently, it is a misdemeanor not to report sexual misconduct instances.

"I was a mandatory reporter last semester — I didn't even know it was a misdemeanor not to report," College of Agricultural and Natural Resources Representative Josh Prusik said. "This really draws attention to the fact that we need to do better about understanding what mandatory reporting is, especially if this bill passes. We've got a ton of mandatory reporters that have no clue what they're supposed to be doing or what the consequences are."

A few representatives within the policy committee said they did not support the bill because of flaws and vagueness they noticed in the system of mandatory reporting, others said it was important not to take a stance against something that could prevent instances of sexual assault from happening and others took no stance. 

Horne said there should be a discussion of mandatory reporting reform in the general assembly. 

"I don't think it's appropriate for us to take a stance on this bill, because it's a bill based on a flawed system," Horne said.

Promote the Vote

The policy committee also voted to support the "Promote the Vote" ballot initiative for the "initiative for the civil empowerment of all Michigan State students and alumni, as well as for the advancement of free and fair elections in Michigan."  

"I hope we get this on the ballot because I believe — and I'm very confident — that almost every Michigan citizen will vote in favor of this ballot initiative," Vice President of Governmental Affairs Tyler VanHuyse said.  

The ASMSU general assembly will vote on this bill at their second-to-last meeting of the session on March 22.  

Share and discuss “ASMSU policy committee weighs sexual assault-related bills” on social media.