Women's basketball will wear teal shirts Thursday night

Students in the Izzone cheer before the men's basketball game against Wisconsin on Jan. 26, 2018 at Breslin Center. (Nic Antaya | The State News)
Students in the Izzone cheer before the men's basketball game against Wisconsin on Jan. 26, 2018 at Breslin Center. (Nic Antaya | The State News) —

The women's basketball team will wear teal shirts during Thursday's warmup against the University of Iowa, according to head coach Suzy Merchant in a press release. 

The team will also be joined by every women's team on campus to recognize and celebrate National Girls and Women in Sports Day. This will include the women's rowing team, who recently met with the Board of Trustees in the wake of the ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar cases.

Members of the IZZONE were the first wear teal shirts at an athletic event, wearing them last Friday against Wisconsin.

"This was a team decision," Merchant said in the release. "They wanted to show the victims that we support them, and we are in awe of their courage and bravery. The victims on this campus are our sisters, and we support them. We need to open the deaf ears and the blind eyes of every person on every campus in the country. Let this be a lesson to everyone: If you see or hear something, do something."

Merchant declared her support for former MSU president Lou Anna K. Simon on Jan. 20, who resigned the following Wednesday.

The Spartans will face Iowa at 6 p.m. Feb. 1 The game will be televised on the Big Ten Network. 

Share and discuss “Women's basketball will wear teal shirts Thursday night” on social media.