FINAL: Women's basketball upsets No. 11 Maryland, 82-68

Redshirt-senior guard Branndais Agee (10) takes a shot during the game against Oakland on Nov. 13, 2017, at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Grizzlies 95-63.
Redshirt-senior guard Branndais Agee (10) takes a shot during the game against Oakland on Nov. 13, 2017, at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Grizzlies 95-63. —
Photo by Anntaninna Biondo | The State News

After a long stretch of shooting struggles, sophomore guard Taryn McCutcheon hit a career-high six 3-pointers as MSU upsets No. 11 Maryland, 82-68. The Spartans improve to 13-5 on the season and 3-2 in the Big Ten.

After leading for most of the game, the Spartans looked as if they were going to collapse as Maryland only trailed by one point with 4:32 to go in the third quarter. However, momentum shifted to the Spartans as McCutcheon hit her fourth and fifth 3-pointer in a row and the team ran away with it. 

Scrappy defensive efforts was a key to tonight’s win as the Spartans forced 23 turnovers, including five traveling calls. MSU shot an impressive 41 percent from 3-point range, but was outscored on the fast break, 11-8, and out-rebounded, 44-38.

It was truly an upset for the Spartans as they handed Maryland their fourth all-time loss in the Big Ten in three and a half years. It was also the team's first program victory over the Terps, as the Spartans snapped their lost 10-game losing streak against Maryland.

Along with setting a career-high in 3-pointers, McCutcheon finished with a career-high 25 points, and tagged along four rebounds, five assists and four steals.

Sophomore guard Shay Colley cut her big toe the other day and was considered questionable for tonight’s game. However, it seemed as if nothing bothered her at all as she finished with 17 points, seven rebounds and eight assists.

The Spartans will finish their three-game road trip at the University of Illinois next Tuesday at 9 p.m. EST.

Share and discuss “FINAL: Women's basketball upsets No. 11 Maryland, 82-68” on social media.