Ice hockey loses to No. 13 Minnesota for fourth time this season

A referee puts his arms between players during the game against Minnesota on Jan. 18, 2018 at Munn Ice Arena. The Spartans fell to the Gophers 5-4.
A referee puts his arms between players during the game against Minnesota on Jan. 18, 2018 at Munn Ice Arena. The Spartans fell to the Gophers 5-4. —
Photo by Sylvia Jarrus | The State News

Four minutes into the game at Madison Square Garden for the Big Ten’s Super Saturday, freshman forward Mitchell Lewandowski was ejected from the game for knocking Minnesota’s junior forward Tommy Novak in the head.

With the Spartan goal leader out and his linemate sophomore forward Taro Hirose leaving later in the game, MSU would fall to No. 13 Minnesota, 2-1, for the fourth time this season.

Minnesota’s freshman forward Casey Mittelstadt would get the Golden Gophers to strike first 16 minutes into the game getting it past sophomore goaltender John Lethemon. He would go on to make 20 saves for the night.

Junior Cody Milan scored his fifth goal of the season to tie up the game in the third period by deflecting redshirt sophomore defenseman Jerad Rosburg’s shot into the net.

Three minutes after tying the game, sophomore defenseman Mitch Eliot would dive in front of the Spartans’ net in an effort to block Minnesota’s junior forward Brent Gates’ shot, but couldn’t quite make it. Gates’ goal would take the Golden Gophers back into the lead to win the game. 

The Spartans will take the week off and will return back to action on Feb. 2 to face Ohio State on the road.

Share and discuss “Ice hockey loses to No. 13 Minnesota for fourth time this season” on social media.