NCAA opens investigation on MSU over former doctor Nassar

Ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics Dr. Larry Nassar wipes away tears during Christina Barba's statement on the sixth day of his sentencing on Jan. 23, 2018 at the Ingham County Circuit Court in Lansing. "I forgive you Larry," Barba said. "I will never hate you." (Nic Antaya | The State News)
Ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics Dr. Larry Nassar wipes away tears during Christina Barba's statement on the sixth day of his sentencing on Jan. 23, 2018 at the Ingham County Circuit Court in Lansing. "I forgive you Larry," Barba said. "I will never hate you." (Nic Antaya | The State News) —

The NCAA opened an investigation into MSU, according to a report from the New York Times.

The investigation will look into how the university handled the case of ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar. 

More than 180 women and girls said Nassar sexually abused them. He is being sentenced in Ingham County Circuit Court for seven charges of first degree criminal sexual conduct.

Early Tuesday, the NCAA did not respond to request for comment.

The NCAA could also not be reached for comment Tuesday night.

MSU spokesperson Jason Cody confirmed via text the NCAA has sent the MSU Athletic Department a letter. The university is currently review it for a response.

Editor's Note: This article will be updated as more information comes in.

Share and discuss “NCAA opens investigation on MSU over former doctor Nassar” on social media.