FINAL: Men's soccer falls to Indiana in penalty kick shootout to end postseason run

Sophomore midfielder Giuseppe Barone (10) rests after the game against Bowling Green State on Sep. 13, 2017, at DeMartin Stadium at Old College Field. The Spartans defeated the Falcons 1-0.
Sophomore midfielder Giuseppe Barone (10) rests after the game against Bowling Green State on Sep. 13, 2017, at DeMartin Stadium at Old College Field. The Spartans defeated the Falcons 1-0. —
Photo by Anntaninna Biondo | The State News

Men’s soccer postseason run is now over, as they lost to the Indiana Hoosiers in a shootout in the Elite Eight, 3-2, after staying tied at 1-1 through 110 minutes in regulation.

Midfielder Ken Krolicki and forward DeJuan Jones were the two Spartans to find the net in the penalty kick shootout, while Indiana forward Mason Toye was the lone Hoosier to miss his shot.

While the Hoosiers were the last ones to put points on the board, the Spartans were the first, as they got off to an early start with forward Ryan Sierakowski netting a header within the first two minutes of the game.

MSU would hold the lead going into the second half, but in the 60th minute, Indiana’s midfielder Trevor Swartz hit the back of the net to tie it up 1-1.

The score would stay that way to force a penalty kick shootout, in which the Spartans would fall, 4-2, and seal the Hoosiers ticket to the College Cup in Philadelphia.

Share and discuss “FINAL: Men's soccer falls to Indiana in penalty kick shootout to end postseason run” on social media.