Income tax defeated, Beier, Stephens elected to East Lansing City Council

<p>Political science senior Aaron Stephens reacts to his incoming votes for East Lansing City Council on Nov. 7, 2017 at Hopcat.&nbsp;</p>

Political science senior Aaron Stephens reacts to his incoming votes for East Lansing City Council on Nov. 7, 2017 at Hopcat. 

Photo by Carly Geraci | The State News

Unofficial results for the 2017 election are in.

Income Tax

People who work in East Lansing will not pay an income tax.

The proposal was defeated, with 54 percent of voters choosing no.

Since the income tax proposal failed, the proposal to lower property taxes will not be implemented. 

City Council

MSU senior Aaron Stephens won a seat on the East Lansing City Council.

He won the seat with 379 more votes than incumbent Susan Woods.

"I think that we've hung a for sale sign on the city council," councilmember Erik Altmann said, referencing the Greater Lansing Association of Realtors PAC, which spent almost $33,000 on campaigning for Stephens.

Woods echoed Altmann's statement, adding the fact that she only spent around $900 on her campaign. 

Stephens denied the claims.

"(I) knocked on thousands of doors, made thousands of calls and talked to thousands of people," Stephens said. "We were a grassroots campaign from day one and the reason why we won was because we talked to the people and we were responsive to those people. I am proud to have been elected and I will be proud to serve the City of East Lansing."

Incumbent Ruth Beier is reelected to the East Lansing City Council.

Beier received 693 more votes than Woods.

"To be honest I focused almost all my efforts in this election on the income tax, so tonight, I'm actually disappointed," Beier said. "I am looking forward to continuing to work for the next four years, but I'm not looking forward to the decisions we have to make in the next few months."

Woods said she is disappointed to lose but is ready to move on.

"It's a disappointment and Aaron ran a very strong campaign," Woods said. "The best person won, I guess. I've got the film festival in two days. ... I have a whole lot of other things I can do with my life."

Share and discuss “Income tax defeated, Beier, Stephens elected to East Lansing City Council” on social media.